LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fin question

fin question

so i've been looking at a board at the shop where i work...it's kinda been "calling" to me for a while & i'm really considering grabbing it when i get my tax refund in a week or so. the only thing that has kept me from jumping on it before is that it's a kind of fishcuit-like quad, & i've never had much (or any) success w/ them in the past. i pretty much only ride thrusters or bonzers.
    so my question to all you quad riders is, what fins do you like best? it's fcs, btw...i've been looking at the stretch quad set, the mayhem set, & maybe even running 4 pg-3 side fins in the thing. i've previously tried the pc-5 & 7 quad sets, the m-5 set, & a few random hybrids made up of random fins i had laying around.
    the main thing i have felt lacking in the quads i've ridden is drive. i'm not really too concerned w/ keeping the thing loose b/c i'm a fairly big guy & can pretty much put anything on rail w/ enough effort. i just don't want to grab the board, ride for a bit, & realize i've been wasting my time b/c i hate it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    so i've been looking at a board at the shop where i work...it's kinda been "calling" to me for a while & i'm really considering grabbing it when i get my tax refund in a week or so. the only thing that has kept me from jumping on it before is that it's a kind of fishcuit-like quad, & i've never had much (or any) success w/ them in the past. i pretty much only ride thrusters or bonzers.
    so my question to all you quad riders is, what fins do you like best? it's fcs, btw...i've been looking at the stretch quad set, the mayhem set, & maybe even running 4 pg-3 side fins in the thing. i've previously tried the pc-5 & 7 quad sets, the m-5 set, & a few random hybrids made up of random fins i had laying around.
    the main thing i have felt lacking in the quads i've ridden is drive. i'm not really too concerned w/ keeping the thing loose b/c i'm a fairly big guy & can pretty much put anything on rail w/ enough effort. i just don't want to grab the board, ride for a bit, & realize i've been wasting my time b/c i hate it.
    The ones u sold me LOL But I only ride Futures I wanna try the FSA4 Hex RTM if they are on the fin tree I here great stuff about them

thanks, matt, but this one's fcs!

it's not you,quads are weird.
    but tri's have lots of drawbacks,too.
    i found bonzers really frustrating more often than not,but on certain days on certain waves they're awesome.
    i like single fins,but sometimes they are limiting.
    twins can be really great fun,or way too loose.

but quads,yeah,better in some ways,but,a little weird in others,like,they don't feel natural.

my shaper told me there's no such thing as a perfect board.

Any chance of contacting the shaper and getting his suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Any chance of contacting the shaper and getting his suggestion?
    it has stock fins w/ it, but they're a set i've tried before & didn't like...m-5 fronts w/ g-xq rears. i got no drive out of them. plus they're the glass-flex material, which i have a tendency to break.
    right now, i'm leaning towards a pg-5 front/pc-2 (side fins) in back. i think that should provide me a nice combo of the drive i'm looking for & a bit of maneuverability.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    it's not you,quads are weird.
    but tri's have lots of drawbacks,too.
    i found bonzers really frustrating more often than not,but on certain days on certain waves they're awesome.
    i like single fins,but sometimes they are limiting.
    twins can be really great fun,or way too loose.

but quads,yeah,better in some ways,but,a little weird in others,like,they don't feel natural.

my shaper told me there's no such thing as a perfect board.
    ummm...thanks?

How are the fins placed? Are they both out on the rail, toed in about the same, or are the rear fins set closer to the stringer, with less toe? Does the leading edge of the rear fin sit about an inch back from the trailing edge of the front fins, or is it set further back, closer to where a trailer would be on a thruster?

Got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    it has stock fins w/ it, but they're a set i've tried before & didn't like...m-5 fronts w/ g-xq rears. i got no drive out of them. plus they're the glass-flex material, which i have a tendency to break.
    right now, i'm leaning towards a pg-5 front/pc-2 (side fins) in back. i think that should provide me a nice combo of the drive i'm looking for & a bit of maneuverability.
    Right on. The shaper may have better insight as to what other fins may work for your wants/needs than another poster here.

It's all about the hold and release. Shapers build more hold (or release) in the board itself with the rails or bottom contours, which directly affects how much fin is needed for a given type & weight of surfer. Those fins may not have worked on the last board you tried them on, but if this board has more soft rail and/or less concave and and/or less tail width, they may just work. I'm not saying they will. You may be able to save yourself $50 to $75 by giving them a test drive.

It's all about the hold and release. Shapers build more hold (or release) in the board itself with the rails or bottom contours, which directly affects how much fin is needed for a given type & weight of surfer. Those fins may not have worked on the last board you tried them on, but if this board has more soft rail and/or less concave and and/or less tail width, they may just work. I'm not saying they will. You may be able to save yourself $50 to $75 by giving them a test drive.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree at least try the quad set that comes with the board. I personally when going quad fins prefer a flat inside foil. I have the Slater (5 fin set) but that quad set up is great, but if your bigger the board is a really wide tail you probably need a bigger fin. I would try the MR quead set up for a fish type board, Basically a big ol set of twin fins with some smaller stailzers in the back, should be really fun in a fishcuit syle board, having that much fin in the water with a flat inside foil you should get some drive out of them. If you work at a shop you should be able to "test drive" plenty of fcs fins right?