LOGIN | REGISTER

surfing workouts

i was wondering what workouts i could do around the gym or at home that would help me with my surfing. i want to have more power in my surfing any ideas?

swim a bunch of laps

Joga will give you flexibility, strength and balance... just what is needed to get some great surf sessions. P90X has a good 1,5 hours class (intermediate - advanced level) and you can do it at home

Straight Arm, Lat Pull Downs. Builds the Lats, which is what you use to generate power in your paddle when your arm is in the water.

West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    I do pullups pushups and yoga, I went to the gym for years but feel better now surfing then when i worked out doing muscle building weight lifting kineda stuff. Everyones different but this works for me my muscles get tight easily. Running and mountain biking are also great cardio but I have to make sure i stretch a lot after or my hamstrings will be tight as a drum.

Images
    crossfit - that's if your up for the challenge.

Images
    Get yourself P90X, an Iron Gym pull up bar, and an Indo board...this will help fill in the flat spells and keep you in shape for all your surfing needs...oh yea throw in some yoga as well. You are what you eat and do...don't take care of yourself and your body will fail you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Joga will give you flexibility, strength and balance
    Never heard of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Toobed View Post
    Straight Arm, Lat Pull Downs. Builds the Lats, which is what you use to generate power in your paddle when your arm is in the water.
    for paddling: i do a 1 arm (straight) lat pull down while the other arm is doing a dumbbell front raise to simulate paddling. sets of about 15-20 reps with light to medium weight. pullups/chinups

for core: cable twists (keep your lumbar spine straight), planks

legs: squat, deadlift, dumbell step ups (i do these to get ready for snowboarding/hiking backcountry)
    Last edited by mOtion732; Dec 7, 2011 at 01:09 PM.