LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

surfing workouts

are there any surfing workouts i can do to make my surfing more powerful and stronger?

Images
    Try Tabata or HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Short but intense workout that helps with fat loss, cardiovascular endurance, and you can tailor the excercises to hit the body parts integral to surfing.

I agree with exit98 for cardiovascular and endurance training. But to become a more powerful and stronger surfer, you also need some strength training. Not sure what your level of fitness is but I would do some full body strength training with an emphasis on legs and core since thats where your power is coming from. make sure you are hitting chest shoulders back and arms for paddling.

Anyone tired the Taylor Knox surfing fitness video, that guy is a training animal and from what i have seen of small clips showing his training his workouts are balance & core specific and it works the fast twitch muscles associated with surfing. I have been eyeing that video for a while, but I dont really train, would like to be in great shape at 36 but guess im too lazy

Swim and do burpies. I did this every day for 2 months before a surf trip and not only did I have to buy smaller board shorts, I ended up buying a smaller shortboard at the last minute.

burpies are- push up into a jump or something like that right?

yes as the stud said, definitely do burpees. i dont know if there is any thing much more difficult than doing a ton of these. your legs will be on fire and you heartrate will soar. good call

I swear by this. I think Micah still has it in the Swell Info store.

http://www.swellinfo.com/store/surf-...&category_id=0

I've been doing it about 18 months now. I'm an old guy (50+), and it's been a long, long time since I was this fit. It has strength, core, stretching, and yoga all built in. Oh, and it has pop-ups, and push-ups you do while balanced on a stability ball. They are killers.

It's similar to the Taylor Knox, less intense though - which is a good thing when you're first starting out. I've lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. My wetsuits certainly fit a lot better these days. And my board size down too. In the 6's for the first time in decades.

It is a little light on cardio, but you can make that up in other ways.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Exit98Surf View Post
    Try Tabata or HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Short but intense workout that helps with fat loss, cardiovascular endurance, and you can tailor the excercises to hit the body parts integral to surfing.
    To really get the most benefit from HIIT, or interval workouts as a runner would call them, you need to have a good aerobic base too. 30 minutes to an hour of easy, conversational pace running, 4 to 6 days a week will give you a great base.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    burpies are- push up into a jump or something like that right?
    burpee = http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s4Ikkm0PHH...nes_burpee.jpg