LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I'm a believer in p90x - done the whole 90 days just before summer started (including their diet recommendations), increased strength and endurance, and lost some midsection fat while adding some muscle! now i've been doing some rows, lots of swimming and paddling, but I decided to go thru another 90 days of p90x! (like i said - i'm a believer)

Images
    run, swim, run, pt, burpees, dive bombs, and lots of stretching!

Images
    Hands down do some yoga or go all out and take on P90X.

I'm a believer in Richard Simmons Sweating to the oldies...follow that up with a huge dose of muscle milk and yor ready for double overhead

Pull-ups and more pull-ups and then weighted pull-ups when you can do a ton of bodyweight pull-ups (15+ in a set). Don't do kipping pull-ups. Do neutral to wide-grip pull-ups from a deadhang, or almost a deadhang if it's uncomfortable on your elbows.. You'll be clawing into waves like never before.

Bench-press for quicker pop-ups. You don't need to lower the barbell/dumbbells all the way to your chest, that puts a bunch of strain on your shoulders. I'd suggest never doing a separate gym workout any day you surf to save your shoulders. I'd recommend taking at least a day off after a surf day to save your shoulders. Pretty much: be wary of your shoulders, they're fragile.

Squats and dead-lifts for leg power. Both exercises will also hit your abdominals and lower back if you're doing them right. Form is pretty paramount for both exercises because you can screw yourself up if you're doing them wrong. Remember to keep your back straight. Never round your back doing either of these exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by wtsnap View Post
    Pull-ups and more pull-ups and then weighted pull-ups when you can do a ton of bodyweight pull-ups (15+ in a set). Don't do kipping pull-ups. Do neutral to wide-grip pull-ups from a deadhang, or almost a deadhang if it's uncomfortable on your elbows.. You'll be clawing into waves like never before.

Bench-press for quicker pop-ups. You don't need to lower the barbell/dumbbells all the way to your chest, that puts a bunch of strain on your shoulders. I'd suggest never doing a separate gym workout any day you surf to save your shoulders. I'd recommend taking at least a day off after a surf day to save your shoulders. Pretty much: be wary of your shoulders, they're fragile.

Squats and dead-lifts for leg power. Both exercises will also hit your abdominals and lower back if you're doing them right. Form is pretty paramount for both exercises because you can screw yourself up if you're doing them wrong. Remember to keep your back straight. Never round your back doing either of these exercises.
    Bench and squats and running are the center part of my workouts. I still go surfing a couple of hours later, probably shouldn't but what are you gonna do, not surf? I'm gonna throw pull ups in the mix. Thanks bud

I joined a Crossfit box a few months ago. Let me tell you, what a difference! The combination of weightlifting and gimnastics definitely helps to get the power surfing most of us want. Crossfit is expensive - however all boxes upload a different workout to their sites every day so you can basically do CF for free at home.

Surf more?

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Bench and squats and running are the center part of my workouts. I still go surfing a couple of hours later, probably shouldn't but what are you gonna do, not surf? I'm gonna throw pull ups in the mix. Thanks bud
    I wouldn't tell you to not surf, just be very careful with your shoulders. Make sure to warm them up before any activity and get a good stretch afterwards. Definitely try to get some hamstring exercises into your workout. Squats will hit your hammies a little bit, but not that much. Romanian deadlifts are awesome for hamstring work, but like all other deadlifts proper form is key. Lunges are also good for hammies and total leg strength in general.

10. it's like 90% mental bro. Strengthen the mind.