LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Claude Codgen

Claude Codgen

A buddy of mine's sister had a longboard on the side of his house and she moved to hawaii so its now mine. I've been rididng and finally ironing out my adjustments from the retro fish I usually ride. I was just wondering if anyone had any info or thoughts on Sunshine surfboards or the shaper Claude Codgen. Its his model the "CC Rider". Hope everyone got theres yesterday!!!

Images

CC Rider

The "CC Rider" you speak of was a "Con" surfboard. "Sunshine House" was a surfshop located in Ocean City, MD who popularized long-sleeve T-shirts with an interpretation of a Frederick Remington Indian. While Finnegan and Roberts originated the design with "Sunshine House" written on the length of the sleeves, touristas went mad for them and they sold a ton of the design.

FYI- on a DC blog site, Finnegan's daughter posted her e-mail address and said she still had some of the merchandise. This is what she posted:

"hi my name is jessica finigan i am the daughter of jim finigan who was the owner and my dad closed sunshine house when I was 7 but if you are interested in some stuff email me and I can get you some peacoej@yaoo.com THANKS JESSICA F"

codgen

I still have my 6'7 'Sunshine House' board shaped by CC. From back in late 1970's-early 1980's. Hand-shaped by Claude Codgen. Peeling wave art design on the front. Arrowhead logo on the back.

That one summer long ago, we were a surfin' crew living in a shack of a house at 60th Street, bayside, right near the highway in/out of OC. We did the beach lifeguard thing, worked at places like the Embers restaurant, hotels, whatever, just to be near the beach. That old shack house is probably a stack of over-priced condos by now...

Will post pics of the CC stick at some point.

Bit of a story: one day a couple summers ago I took the board out at Sandbridge. These 3 dudes, late teens, with boards under their arms were walking by on the sand & did the classic triple take, as in WTF is that weird-shaped board you got there, mister. They wanted to know about CC & why he shaped it like he did & the board's history, et. al. Pretty fun moment in time.

Last I heard, CC still shapes a few sticks in Florida. I googled & found his website.

Board still rides great. I'll def use it this summer in VB & OBX. Won't travel with it, though, 'cause the airline baggage monkeys strike fear in my board-lovin' heart.