LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    South swell season, should pump in May. I"ve been to Bocas on the Caribbean side, which is sick, but mostly a winter destination.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    the beachbreak can be fun on the swell angle & size...& a lot of the stuff you mentioned as "bad" i would chalk up as "part of the adventure." but that's just me. i know most people prefer that things go by the book exactly as they're supposed to.
    the billing for drinks other than water & coffee is done on an honor system...each time you take something...a beer, soda, juice, etc...you're supposed to put a little hash mark on a chart w/ everyone's names on it. i think both times i've been there, each drink was $1 & you paid your total at the end of your stay. it was the same system in the maldives when i was there this past summer. i guess it's a pretty common thing.
    Yeah, let me rephrase:
    Looking back it was kind of an "adventure", but at the time stranded on the side of the road in central america in the dark with nobody really knowing where you were kind of sucked. I know, its centro...i get it. still its pretty bad when you get to a foreign country and nobody is there to greet or guide you as advertised.
    The beachbreak was ok, but it wasn't epic or anything. I had fun, would I go back? maybe, maybe not.
    It was more than just the drinks, the hotel they put us up in in P city was trying to overcharge us too, and it seemed like they told us drinks were one price when we got there and that it changed when the time came to pay up. It seemed like we spent a lot of time adding, calling people and recalculating bills.
    Not hating or by any means saying not to go, just relating my experiance. Bottom line fun but not headache free.
    To add to mike's pics:

Last edited by oipaul; Apr 21, 2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    I know, its centro...i get it. still its pretty bad when you get to a foreign country and nobody is there to greet or guide you
    no offense, but it sounds like you don't get it...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    none taken. And I could give a rat's ass what you think.

Ah, Cresto....just when I thought I was out....you pull me back in ......

Here's what I got out of this thread:

NJ42 is sayin that he didn't get what he paid for. He's not sayin that he needs a minder, which is what you infer with your ignorant crackpost that he didn't get it.

WTF is good about sittin' on the side of a Centro highway all night ?? Esp since that was the kind of crap that he retained in-country assistance to avoid.....? And, much more importantly, that's what the in-country 'surf guides' advertise that they will help one avoid: hassles.

EX: I've surfed Nica many times. Just getting from MGA to Playa Colorado is 3 hrs & a lot of gringo-specific bogus pullovers by the Nica cops. The pigs want from 5 to 75 usd in their palms or they confiscate your license on the spot. It's no fun getting ripped off, but you manage, somehow, through negotiation, yappin' or connections to get to the destination. Would it seem like b itchin if I told you I don't like that corrupto crap ? Would it seem like b itchin if I told you we got through it but I consider it a negative on the trip?
    NO, it's not b itchin. It's reality.

Just as nj42 managed to get through a night on the shoulder of some blacked out Panaroad. Reality.

And, BTW, his response to you is the sheeee-it.

So back off the b itch pedal, Cresto.

And, spare us, eh? Don't burden us with your BS routine of you being the US Ambassador of Central American Surf Expedition Knowledge, aka, ACASEK.

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post

correcto

Perdon: make that Oipaul, not NJ42.

Yank out.

Woah, thanks for all the advice (and the drama, that was fun to read as well haha). We decided to go with the Cambutal Hotel with a rented 4x4 so we can explore the whole Azuero region. Looks pretty sick. Definitely appreciate the suggestion. Other than the semi-rough access, there don't seem to be many people with negative words about the place.

A few final questions, if anyone has the time and knowledge to reply...
    1. Bug spray - I've heard that's a necessity. Any particular brand recommended?
    2. Boards - I managed to destroy my 6'1'' thruster last week and have only my 6'4'' round pin. If need be, are boards expensive and/or available? I've been told there's a surf shop about 40 min from the hotel, but I'd like to know if I can expect to find something decent.
    3. Traffic out of Panama City - I'm expecting an absolute nightmare...any tips???
    4. Stonefish - these things scare the crap out of me, even though I've never actually seen one. I'd really like to not wear booties the whole time and look like a kook, but I'm considering it. Is this an irrational fear or something worth worrying about?

Thanks again!
    Matt
    Last edited by live aloha; May 6, 2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: type-o!

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    1. Bug spray - I've heard that's a necessity. Any particular brand recommended?
    yea, bug spray is definitely a necessity...they got bird w/ teeth down there! something w/ an emphasis on repelling mosquitos would be the trick...maybe even talk to your doc about anti-malaria drugs. malaria sucks.

2. Boards - I managed to destroy my 6'1'' thruster last week and have only my 6'4'' round pin. If need be, are boards expensive and/or available? I've been told there's a surf shop about 40 min from the hotel, but I'd like to know if I can expect to find something decent.
    i'd say pick something up before you leave if that's possible. you MIGHT find something, but then again you might not. if the waves end up being on the smaller side, it would suck to be stuck w/ something that's essentially a step-up.

3. Traffic out of Panama City - I'm expecting an absolute nightmare...any tips???
    no clue. good luck & god speed!

4. Stonefish - these things scare the crap out of me, even though I've never actually seen one. I'd really like to not wear booties the whole time and look like a kook, but I'm considering it. Is this an irrational fear or something worth worrying about?
    do some research about the areas you intend to visit. do stonefish tend to be found in those areas? if yes, get the booties. if not, go w/out them. personally, i have a pair & pack them whenever i go someplace tropical. i don't always wear them, but they're nice to have around in case i feel the need. stonefish are gnarly & i prob. wouldn't mess w/ them.
    looking like a kook < dying from stonefish poison inside of 15min.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    looking like a kook < dying from stonefish poison inside of 15min.
    true dat! it's funny how the "enemy you can't see" is often much scarier than the one you can. case in point, i've spent a fair amount of time in costa rica surfing places like the tulin rivermouth. plenty of crocs, for sure, but it's usually far easier to spot a 10 ft reptile than a tiny fish the size of your foot sitting on the bottom.

The last time this place posted a surf report was July 2010.....