LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Longboarding in NJ

    Anyone know of good breaks for riding longboard in monmouth county?

    I was out the last two weekends and keep getting pitched over the nose b/c my longboard doesnt have the rocker for the steep beach break.

    Or anyone have any tips for surfing a 9' board on faster moving beach breaks?

  2. #2
    well from your handle, my first bit of advice would be to stay in north jersey preferably above exit 125 on the parkway. next take a band saw and cut off 3-4 feet off the nose of your board. once you do these two steps hop in the raritan bay and playing in shipping traffic.

    next question.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lavallette
    Posts
    198
    wait for high tide.. Cant log every wave.. has to be filled in. I log it allot when the waves are small.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by northjerz54 View Post
    Anyone know of good breaks for riding longboard in monmouth county?

    I was out the last two weekends and keep getting pitched over the nose b/c my longboard doesnt have the rocker for the steep beach break.

    Or anyone have any tips for surfing a 9' board on faster moving beach breaks?
    dude, longboard = 2-5 foot waves. thats all you really gotta know dude. there is no break just for "longboarders". Im guessing that your just learning how to surf. it sounds like your not putting enough weight on your back foot. hope this helps:

    1. Catch a wave earrllyy
    2. Go for the shoulder of the wave if possible (easier)
    3. Paddle hard enough to get deap into the wave (this way you dont get stuck on the peak and go over the falls)
    4. Pop up and put most of your weight on your back foot without leaning your upper body backwards (this one can only be learned with practice)
    5. As you go down the face and hit the bottom, point in the direction you want to go(leading hand) and lean your weight(NOT YOUR UPPER BODY) in the direction you want to go. Remember to keep most of your weight on your back foot throughout the entire turn.

    Good luck man. Surfing is hard. You gotta put a lot of time into it to progress.


    P.S. The hardest thing about a bottom turn is timing. You can get the motions right and still wipeout everrry time if your not timing it right.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by northjerz54 View Post
    I was out the last two weekends and keep getting pitched over the nose b/c my longboard doesnt have the rocker for the steep beach break.

    Or anyone have any tips for surfing a 9' board on faster moving beach breaks?
    Welcome to the forum. When you say you're getting pitched, do you mean that the board is "pearling" (nose digging in)? Where are you on the board when it does this? What makes you think you don't have enough rocker? What board do you have? What are the other dimensions & features? How long have you been surfing & where? How much do you weigh? You're going to have to provide a lot more detail if you want an accurate answer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Welcome to the forum. When you say you're getting pitched, do you mean that the board is "pearling" (nose digging in)? Where are you on the board when it does this? What makes you think you don't have enough rocker? What board do you have? What are the other dimensions & features? How long have you been surfing & where? How much do you weigh? You're going to have to provide a lot more detail if you want an accurate answer.
    yes. also shoe size, skin color, age, hair texture, and a picture of your girlfriend would help alot. thanx

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lavallette
    Posts
    198
    Good advise from all.. If you watch the endless summer 2 You will see Wingnut (robert weaver) absolutely ripping every type of wave on his longboard. It just takes time. But I know What kind of wave your looking for...
    Last edited by Epic; Apr 20, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    there is no break just for "longboarders"
    ^^^ i stand corrected

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    dude, longboard = 2-5 foot waves. thats all you really gotta know dude. there is no break just for "longboarders". Im guessing that your just learning how to surf. it sounds like your not putting enough weight on your back foot. hope this helps:

    1. Catch a wave earrllyy
    2. Go for the shoulder of the wave if possible (easier)
    3. Paddle hard enough to get deap into the wave (this way you dont get stuck on the peak and go over the falls)
    4. Pop up and put most of your weight on your back foot without leaning your upper body backwards (this one can only be learned with practice)
    5. As you go down the face and hit the bottom, point in the direction you want to go(leading hand) and lean your weight(NOT YOUR UPPER BODY) in the direction you want to go. Remember to keep most of your weight on your back foot throughout the entire turn.

    Good luck man. Surfing is hard. You gotta put a lot of time into it to progress.


    P.S. The hardest thing about a bottom turn is timing. You can get the motions right and still wipeout everrry time if your not timing it right.





    Ive been surfing for a while, just never very consistently. I know there are no waves "just for longboarders." More like im looking for a wave which doesnt break so steep. I have surfed head high waves before, to me its all about how fast they break, not the size.

    And i do basically what you are saying i.e. i catch the shoulders all the time. Thing is i would like to be getting in on the peak and not the shoulders. Basically why i am shopping around for a smaller board i.e. 6'7", but until i get it wanted to see if anyone knew of some softer waves around here.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Welcome to the forum. When you say you're getting pitched, do you mean that the board is "pearling" (nose digging in)? Where are you on the board when it does this? What makes you think you don't have enough rocker? What board do you have? What are the other dimensions & features? How long have you been surfing & where? How much do you weigh? You're going to have to provide a lot more detail if you want an accurate answer.

    My board is a 8'11" walden magic model and weigh about 160 lbs. Ive been surfing bradley beach and sandy hook. By pitching over the nose i mean "pearling". I think it lacks rocker because even when i keep my weight back, on a steep wave i tend to go over. Ive been surfing for a few years, but never lived close enough to the water to surf daily or weekly basis.