LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wanted to see if anyone knew of some softer waves around here.
    Go to Long Island, start with Rockaway Beach and go East. The waves are mushier and softer. I know you asked for Monmouth County but based on where you say you surf and your screen name you're coming off the GSP. Its probably just as quick a drive to surf Long Island.

I'm gonna suggest you try a couple of things before we blame the rocker. First and foremost, longboards are a completely different timing than shortboarding. You may see shortboarders (and some longboarders) doing turn-and-goes, but your advantages with that board lie in getting the board up to speed before the wave gets to you and getting up early. This is why longboarders are generally further outside.

First, note where the waves are breaking and go a little further outside. Eye your wave before it starts to form (say....50 yds out?). Turn around and start paddling. You're goal is to have the board up to speed as the wave meets you just outside of the point where it breaks. Everything varies on wave strength and wave speed.

Also, try taking off on an angle, especially on steeper waves to help keep your nose from pearling. If you're on the tail, it shouldn't pearl, but more times than not, less experienced surfers aren't on the tail (or keeping their "weight back") as far as they think they are...which brings up another point: Put a visual landmark or tail pad on your board to make you truly aware of where you are standing.

On smaller/quicker waves, you're going to have to "trim," so as soon as your bottom turn is finished, you need to immediately start heading towards the nose. Between the middle of the board and the nose (not on it), there's a spot that allows the board to go it's fastest. You need to find that spot.

Lastly, don't learn this stuff where everybody else goes. You were asking where a good break is. I suggest that until you get that board wired, the best break is the one nobody else is surfing. When you start blowing waves on a crowded peak, you'll be completely disregarded and either paddled around or dropped in on. Regardless, you won't be "surfing" as much as sitting on a surfboard and/or getting in the way until you figure out your stick.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Apr 20, 2011 at 05:01 PM.

You want a mellow/longboard wave, go to Brigantine Beach, NJ.

For days like Sunday...heed Ray's advice and think about getting something like this...http://www.tcsurf.com/surfboards/lon...pro-model.aspx.

Typically...wide hybrid/trad. LB will work in most anything...but Sunday and days with similar size and energy...I would think about something a bit more pulled in and "pinny". There are probably tons on craigslist, forums, etc....for instance...http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/spo/2330988637.html...

Great Posts

Thanks, that's some great, real info posts.
    But where did all the assholes go?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by northjerz54 View Post
    My board is a 8'11" walden magic model and weigh about 160 lbs. Ive been surfing bradley beach and sandy hook. By pitching over the nose i mean "pearling". I think it lacks rocker because even when i keep my weight back, on a steep wave i tend to go over. Ive been surfing for a few years, but never lived close enough to the water to surf daily or weekly basis.
    I ride a 9'0 epoxy magic model and I surf every type of wave, you just need more experience. I will say it doesn't work well for that ankle to knee high log style wave though.