LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera advice

Hybrid View

camera advice

Im interested in getting a camera to take pics of surfing from beach. any advice on equipment will be helpful thank you. was looking at a canon dslr

not really wurth taykin pix uv wrongisland surf, but if u still wanna, what's ur price range? we'll go from here...

around 2- 3000. i was looking at a canon eos rebel i think and canon EF 100-400mm lense, but not sure if i need all that or if other things would be better for tsking pics from beach. camera will also be traveling too. thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongislandsurfer View Post
    around 2- 3000. i was looking at a canon eos rebel i think and canon EF 100-400mm lense, but not sure if i need all that or if other things would be better for tsking pics from beach. camera will also be traveling too. thanks
    If I had 2-3k to spend I would get the 40D or 7D. Not the 60D. Here's why.

The 40D body is made of metal. shoots @ 6.5 fps.
    The 60D body is made of plastic. shoots @ 5.3 fps.
    The 7D body is made of metal. shoots @ 8 fps. (machine gun)

I travel a lot too. So having a metal body keeps my mind at rest a little. I recently upgraded from the 40D to the 7D. I completely skipped the 60D for the simple fact it shot at 5.3 fps which is less then the previous 40D and it's made of plastic.

Lenses you will not want to cheap on. Get yourself a used fixed lens. 300mm is all you need. I would stay away from the 100mm-400mm EF as you will need lots of light. I believe the aperture on that is 4.5/5.6. If you want great pictures you will need to get a 2.8/3.2 lens. I had a 75mm-300mm EF. It was decent...but on cloudy days @ 300mm you will get grainy pictures, regardless of your ISO settings.

My 2 cents....

I got my first "dslr" recently and went a different route: sony. It's actually not a true dslr, (and not one of the mirrorless cameras either) but rather sony calls it a single lens translucent camera. It's pretty good for shooting at high speeds for a $600 camera. There are less lens options out there for sony compared to canon and nikon, but with the ability to use most minolta lenses, the difference isn't too bad. Also, be prepared for canon and nikon fans to scoff at you for not having a real camera (to be fair, it isn't).

One other thing I'll add: get Adobe Lightroom. It retails for $300, but it's easy enough to find it for about $100 if you look. Great way to "develop" and organize your photos. Has very good noise reduction too, which has resurrected it's fair share of pictures for me.

Images
    Like a lot of posters are saying, find a used body in good condition and save the money for a top-notch lens. Great sites to follow:
    dpreview.com
    imaging-resource.com
    fredmiranda.com

I scooped up a 50d off of fredmiranda for a pretty good price (50d is very similar to the 40d).

As far as Nikon v. Canon, it's a pick 'em. Sure there are some subtle differences between the platforms but nothing significant to deter a beginner one way or the other.
    Use the search function as well since this topic has probably been discussed extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    not really wurth taykin pix uv wrongisland surf, but if u still wanna, what's ur price range? we'll go from here...
    trust kman....... he's an expert on cameras

do you have any suggestions then solo surfer thanks

camera

any DSLR will be a good starting point. The lens attachment will allow you to zoom in close enough from shore. Stick with cannon or nikon they are the most widely used which means there is a lot of stuff available. Do your research, and go to a camera store, not a best buy and hold, feel, try the camera before you by it. Make sure its comfortable and you can easily use the functions. If you haven't done so already take some photography courses or browse the web for ideas photography "assignments" it will help to open up the possibilities of the camera.

Images
    Definitiely stay away from Best buy and do NOT trust any online camera stores where their prices are drastically lower than the MSRP. If you live in NY go to B&H if you live in MA go to Calumet. I shoot with Nikon and love my camera. Your price range is good but realize when you get to upper level DSLRs there are no automatic modes so you need an understanding of the relationship between Aperature, Shutter Speed and ISO. If these terms sound greek I suggest going with a lower end DSLR to learn on. Your lenes matter more than your body and will go with you when you upgrade your body so do not cheap out on good glass. If I were in the market for a camera today I would be looking at the Nikon D700 or D300 depending on budget. If money is no option I would go with the D3 but that is no starter camera. In reality the D700 and 300 are not starter cameras either.