LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i dont like it when little shortboarders claim the wave and as your paddling, try to swoop under you which stops your paddling and the wave ia all theirs. I used to be the hot dogger but now that i ride a shorter board but i still take off deeper and farther out.

Or.... You can bodyboard like i also do.
    SpUnJAh 4 LYfE

Theres only one guy that i always see riding a stand up paddle board where we go. But he always goes off by himself away from where everyone is.

HAHA this argument has been on many messageboards. I like the people that say, "if you are good, you will catch waves no matter what you ride. If you suck, get out of the lineup" haha. Apparently people that say this know nothing of physics....and they should since they surf.

When the longboarders are taking all the waves, I'll usually drop in on them after I have given them 10+ waves in a row, or i'll pull out my lonboard and join them. Those are really the only two options if you want to surf that break. It really is a funny issue though.

I can remember a certain flat summer about a decade ago similar to this past one that made me go buy a long board. I wanted to surf as much as possible and the only way was to surf something bigger. I know it can be hard to hold back catching as many waves as possible on a long board and during the Summer the city confines the surfers to such small areas I am surprised that I haven't seen surfers come to blows over wave priority. Yelling, stares and the finger yes, but fights no. When the waves are scarce, the forecast calling for something a little better than it is and the crowds there expecting it, frustration definitely sets in. I can't out paddle a person on a long board. A lot of the times I will sit out on outside a bit,basically with the long boards and just paddle my ass off to get priority. Sometimes this works in getting the guys on the longer boards to realize that I am not just going to sit there and let them take all the good sets and give me the leftovers. So, instead of dropping in on others, I just get a bit more aggressive in my paddling.

goat

Images

Hmmmmmm. . .

What a bunch of wuzzies. It's really all about positioning afterall, that and your own physical paddling condition. Just ask Big Wave Dave. Woo Hoooo!

I started this thread more as a mere outlet for for just one annoying experience and tried to spin it in a sarcastic, or at least an amusing tone. I don't think anyone needs to be told that it is about positioning. It isn't rocket science. A person on a long-board will out paddle and therefore out position a person on a short board. It is about common courtesy of sharing waves in a lineup. I really don't believe that dropping in on someone because they are being a **** solves the problem. But, in my experience, just like in driving a car, a simple wave or acknowledgment of the other persons existence goes a long way to easing tensions.

later

goat

"But, in my experience, just like in driving a car, a simple wave or acknowledgment of the other persons existence goes a long way to easing tensions".

I couldn't agree more. If you are friendly and someone still is being an ass, well, they are just an ass.

I have yet to see any canoe-ers here in decent surf, so can't complain if they are surfing lake atlantica stand up style. They are on the right board for the conditions.

I love to fart in the face of the cheech who attempts to drop in on me, and you know I love beans.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    What a bunch of wuzzies. It's really all about positioning afterall, that and your own physical paddling condition. Just ask Big Wave Dave. Woo Hoooo!
    HA Big Wave Dave is Awesome...... I think it's amusing as all hell when there are 30 surfers out and 1 is catching waves. Most likely it's because he weighs about 120 lbs and surfs a 11 ft board. And the Grunting and WOOO HOOO's, it's classic. If you can catch them, then surf them.... Just use common sense, and don't hog the break. Have fun playing leap-frog in the lineup to gat far left on a right or vise-versa. It's all in a days surf.........

Why are standup paddle boards all the rage now? is it because there has been no waves this summer/fall? Its one step away from paddling in a fishing boat.