LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Surfshop

Boston Surfshop

Hey everyone, I am thinking about opening a surf/snow/skate shop in the Boston area. Any opinions? Would that be something that you would shop at? What location would you want to see it at? I know that it is hard sometimes to make it up to NH or down to the south shore especially if you are in school with no car. Basically, I am trying to see if there is any demand out there. Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Good idea...couple thoughts, if directly in the city make sure there is parking, nothing like buying a board then hopping on the T. Also, probably a good idea to diversify the product line a bit, surfing isn't immensely popular, but people still do purchase boardshorts, sandles etc, so having a good base will ensure that the store stays afloat and doesn't rely on solely board and wetsuit sales.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about parking. And I agree, maintaining non-surfing customers is key. I also plan on selling snowboard gear, obviously much more popular around here but there is also a lot more competition.

Quote Originally Posted by somuchsurf View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about parking. And I agree, maintaining non-surfing customers is key. I also plan on selling snowboard gear, obviously much more popular around here but there is also a lot more competition.
    Try Cambridge/Somerville/Watertown area more likely to find a spot with parking. Should have a good customer base. There are plenty of surfers there and of course SUP guys. Sell skateboards and skate stuff and every little skater kid will be buying a surfboard once they realize there are waves here (just don't send them to any of the good spots). Sell boards made by local shapers.

GREAT IDEA!! i would shop at ur shop...yes there should be other surf stuff, sandles, shorts, etc...Also, i would recomend not to sell mass produced boards from china, and support the local surf shapers, like chum said cause the china crap is crap...also make sure you have plenty of surf essentials...wax, board ding repair, fins, leashes etc..as someone will need to fix their board if they ding it that day, and break a fin, as im sure all of us has happened to...If it was along a route of public transportation, like the red line for instance it would bring more business..especally for the kids that dont drive, they need to get to the shop easily..closer to the water, the better..thats just my 0.2c...and Good Luck!

Images
    btw

I am opening a surfshop in chinatown in 1-2 months, i was tired of meeting people in the ally behind my shaping shack.

sorry.

my web be www.bostonsurf.com

Nice good luck. Let us know when you open shop so we can stop by!

Images
    definitly, will be showing a short film on the whole chino surfboards and the creation of the store when we open.

You should talk to the guy who opened Paragon Surf Shop in Hull about a year ago. He might have some helpful insight on the challenges/opptys of opening a surf shop in the Boston area.

Images
    Yea We need a shop here.. and as soon as its up and going and you need an employee I'm ready to work for you, either one of you who starts a shop. hows anyone feel about the flat last two weeks unless you hit up RI or the Cape...