LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    fear makes it fun. if you didnt love fear you would be on the golf forum
    Well said my friend. Well said.

Damn you guys make me wanna go out right now, and it's like knee high. Yeah I don't know why I'm really scared now that I think about it. I'll try to work on it. The paddle out really is the scariest part, makes me wanna s h i t (not joking) lol. I'm gonna try not to be scared, I feel like it's stopping me from getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    Damn you guys make me wanna go out right now, and it's like knee high. Yeah I don't know why I'm really scared now that I think about it. I'll try to work on it. The paddle out really is the scariest part, makes me wanna s h i t (not joking) lol. I'm gonna try not to be scared, I feel like it's stopping me from getting better.
    heres how i look at it. if your scared you shouldnt be out there. point blank. and i dont mean nervous, i mean scared. I get nervous at like 8feet high, but still go out. I sh*t my pants at 12 feet high, and on those days i acknoledge that i am just not that good, and go home. You just have to take baby steps. If your are hesitant/afraid before you drop in on a wave you WILL NOT MAKE IT! Plain and simple. In reality your fear does hold you back. But it also keeps you alive

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    the worst part like many ppl have said is the paddle out. but if you work on your paddling abilities and duck diving you should be fine.

like with me im a lifeguard and can swim amazingly good and can duckdive a board very well, my problem is im afraid of heights. so as my pre surf warm up when im driving to the beach or getting ready at the car i play one good song to get me in the mind set that the heights of 8ft waves wont scare me. and then when i get on the beach i take a minute to sit there and get ready and once i do that i do the little prayer and im good.

you just gotta take your time getting to train your body. plus transfer that negative fear into a positive fear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post

got to go out on smaller days and work your way up. I'm sure your not scared to surf 2 ft surf... and when you conquer that you keep going up and up. Now that it is starting to warm up, the paddling will get easier as we shed the rubber. Summer is a great time to learn with the smaller waves.

you have it backwards - once you get better you'll not be as scared. Accept your fear and go out anyway. Its the people who convince themselves that they aren't scared that end up getting in trouble. Thats called false confidence.

If the waves are pumping and your heart isn't in your throat - you're probablly boogie boarding

Quote Originally Posted by Scobeyville View Post
    If the waves are pumping and your heart isn't in your throat - you're probablly boogie boarding
    what Scobey said

one thing i've learned in big surf is that if you're not confident you're going to get worked. you have to have conviction and be totally committed in everything you do, whether it being paddling for a set wave, paddling out or even duck diving. if you hesitate, the ocean will know and make you pay for it.

You should be scared....I almost drownded once