LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being afraid.

Being afraid.

How much better does not being afraid make you? I want some opinions, I've only been surfing for like 4 months and I still get afraid when the waves are steep. I feel like once i stop being afraid it will make me much better.

whats to be afraid of? It's just water. Don't think fear makes you better or worse, just makes it harder to learn.

fear makes it fun. if you didnt love fear you would be on the golf forum

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    fear makes it fun. if you didnt love fear you would be on the golf forum
    Hey, you could get a VERY SERIOUS blister on your toe walking the greens. It could get infected and KILL you. Fear is very real in golf. I once knew a guy who accidently sat on a golf tee that was in his back pocket. You don't wanna know...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    How much better does not being afraid make you? I want some opinions, I've only been surfing for like 4 months and I still get afraid when the waves are steep. I feel like once i stop being afraid it will make me much better.
    Usually, your fears are warranted. Only with lots of time in the water and practice will you feel more comfortable. Cause remember, when its big out, with huge sweeping currents and you are a novice, you should be afraid. There are many factors in the ocean that have killed even the most skilled life long waterman.... So while fear produces many positive things, it is also a natural emotion that is usually warranted. The ocean is a lethal force. Remember that. Ive broken boards on a 2 foot day. The human body can be harmed in even the most playful conditions.... Not trying to be a fear monger, but your body will let you know when enough is enough and you are "in over your head"... Face your fears, but be realistic about them.... Get in the water... A lot.... surf with friends and crowds until you have more confidence.... And if its DOH on a hurricane swell and bombs are detonating on shore, you may just want to take notes from the beach.... Good surfers make it look a lot easier than it really is.... good luck.

You'll eventually get your surfing to a level when everything is fun, usually that's what overcomes the fear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    Hey, you could get a VERY SERIOUS blister on your toe walking the greens. It could get infected and KILL you. Fear is very real in golf. I once knew a guy who accidently sat on a golf tee that was in his back pocket. You don't wanna know...
    ever seen a 65 year old retiree get hit in the head with an 300 yard driver slice? Not pretty.... =)

Images
    head high gets my heart pounding in my throat. i get that its just water, but sometimes i do get freaked out by some of the bigger sets, like 6 ft+. but those days are the most fun and most memorable. wouldnt trade that feeling of flying down the line on a heavy set after beating back fear as you paddled into it for anything in the world...

Fear is your brain telling you that you may not be prepared to cope with what's about to happen. That being said, spend as much time in the water as possible. Take small steps getting familiar with bigger conditions. After a while head high will start to be more fun than fearful. Never surf way beyond you capabilities - you could hurt yourself or others. There are different levels for everyone - your head and body will let you know when your at your limit.

Images
    The right mentality before you enter the water should be a little nervous, but also excited to get out there. Itís a nervous excitement where the excitement is just a little bigger than the nerves. If you get out of your car and the conditions inspire flat out fear and a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, you probably shouldnít paddle out. You wonít make the right decisions in the water and youíll put yourself and others in danger.