LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASP World tour

ASP World tour

I look forward to each event especially since you can watch live on your mobile. Im not sure about you guys but this years tour line up seems a bit weak. It seems they want to focus what the "pros" can do on local waves. The wildcard events are NY and Ocean Beach, CA....Really!?! To me it just seems that the companies didnt want to put out extra effort to get permits, insurance ect. These events just seem a bit lazy. I like to see the pros surfing some exotic location on a "world class" wave NOT some local beachbreak that might work. I mean they scored Selina Cruz, Mex so good they made a whole DVD from just the contest...btw also putting it on the map creating jobs as well as an epic surf destination. I just think places like East Africa should be the focus of the next search. There are excellent waves on this coast but we need the big companies to pave the way.

more than likely the corrupt governments for these 3rd world areas have penny pinched the ASP that the tour officials have had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    There are excellent waves on this coast but we need the big companies to pave the way.
    no, we don't. bruce brown went to east africa in the 1960's. plenty of others have gone since. we don't need rip curl or any other company showing us where to surf. if you want to go, pack your boards & go.

personally, i'm looking forward to the san fransico contest...OB gets heavy at that time of year, has some crazy currents, & falls w/in the monteray bay marine preserve, so no pwc assist back to the line-up. it could be VERY interesting...i'm almost tempted to buy a plane ticket out there & stay for the duration of the waiting period.

the ny thing, well...in some ways, it's nice to see the asp come back to the east coast. at the same time, i have a bad feeling about what this will do to the crowds. basically, i'm glad it's there & not here.

that said, i think morrocco would be an awesome spot to send the tour...

Images
    I see where you are coming from but c'mon man. You really think the contest in NY will be boring? I have always wanted to see the top guys surf something they don't usually surf. We all know they can surf perfect lowers or some crazy reef pass in the mentawais so lets throw them somewhere that isn't "perfect". I think NY gets some sick swell and watching kelly, jordy, and owen rip **** up will be awesome. Then again, exploring some new places would be cool too. I guess its all preference though. good thread btw

"no, we don't. bruce brown went to east africa in the 1960's. plenty of others have gone since. we don't need rip curl or any other company showing us where to surf. if you want to go, pack your boards & go." "that said, i think morrocco would be an awesome spot to send the tour..." LMAO

Again it comes back to east Africa. The NY contest will most likely be medocre surf. These guys earned their spot to the top, thats why it is called the dream tour. I highly doubt the rookies think NYC is a dream destination by any means. If you want to see pros go to the local comps and observe visiting pros. For example, Rob Machado surfed in LI a few years back for a comp. Really sick to see but I dont think its worth it to bring the world tour to NYC/ San Fran. They got rid of Mundaka b/c of consistancy, I can't imagine NYC being any better. But at least when it did turn on it was an actual dream tour wave. Long story short, I'm dissappointed in their choices and I can only imagine how the pros feel. And no you can't quote Kelly b/c he is a Quiksilver sponsored and has been on tour for over 20 years so I'm sure he doesn't care where it is.

Images
    I would think it is more about money then anything else. There is a lot of marketability in New York and San Francisco...

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I would think it is more about money then anything else. There is a lot of marketability in New York and San Francisco...
    That makes perfect sense. the surf industry wants to have a broader audience and as much exposure as the skating industry.

Looks like all of the hotels in LB are sold out. You could get a rack over by JFK, wtf.

Any bets on attendance figures for this NY event ? 250k pairs of flip flops ? 400k humans jammed in there ? More? Less ?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers does the US Open event pull in HB ?
    (BTW, noticed it's called Nike US Open ... corporate money is all over the sport forever now.)

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    "no, we don't. bruce brown went to east africa in the 1960's. plenty of others have gone since. we don't need rip curl or any other company showing us where to surf. if you want to go, pack your boards & go." "that said, i think morrocco would be an awesome spot to send the tour..." LMAO
    what's so funny? you/we DON'T need surf companies to pave the way & show us what great surf awaits us in other countries & off the beaten path. morocco is hardly a secret spot. it arguably never really was. people have been surfing there since at least the 1970's, possibly before, & it is a pretty popular destination now, esp. for european surfers. i think it would be pretty cool to see the tour stop there one year b/c i don't think there's ever been a wct contest held in north africa & there are some great waves there. it has nothing to do w/ wanting pros & surf companies to pave the way for me. i know what's there...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    personally, i'm looking forward to the san fransico contest...OB gets heavy at that time of year, has some crazy currents, & falls w/in the monteray bay marine preserve, so no pwc assist back to the line-up. it could be VERY interesting...i'm almost tempted to buy a plane ticket out there & stay for the duration of the waiting period.
    yeah, I live in the "real OB" =) to the south... But OB SF is by far as heavy as they come... That place is a life ender on certain swells. But if there is swell headed towards OB SF, you will see some world class barrels. some sh** your pants barrels... Im excited for that one for sure. That whole area sucks up swell like a vacuum.