LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

don;t kooch

ride a shorty,

Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    I've been told by many people that retro fish shapes, quads and twins, are the best board to have in your Jersey quiver.
    bumping an old thread, but how do you like your wynn board?

he shaped me a quad/tri last year, 6'3" x 18 3/4" x 2 3/8" a little weird to get used to but i definitely like it, first quad i ever owned. I wanted to try something other than a bat tail so he made me a diamond tail. It works really well as a quad, but as a thruster i wasnt too impressed. i have a plus one board (george gall) that is my favorite thruster.

not sure what im going to get this year, been saving my pennies up...

Interesting forum so far...

I ride a sponge almost all the time... BUT, I gotta say, there is a guy that rides a red fish (forgot yr name if your reading this) around my homebreak all the time and on decent days, that thing looks like the gun to bring to the shootout.

Anybody ever give fiberglass kneeboards or spoons a shot on the EC? I got a Neil Luke (Aussie shaper) last winter and have had a ball with it every time I've taken it out. Nice for little toobs.

A fun toy to pick up...

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    bumping an old thread, but how do you like your wynn board?

he shaped me a quad/tri last year, 6'3" x 18 3/4" x 2 3/8" a little weird to get used to but i definitely like it, first quad i ever owned. I wanted to try something other than a bat tail so he made me a diamond tail. It works really well as a quad, but as a thruster i wasnt too impressed. i have a plus one board (george gall) that is my favorite thruster.

not sure what im going to get this year, been saving my pennies up...
    Love it! I actually spoke with him about a diamond tail quad when I ordered my board. I told him I wanted both a quad shortboard and a quad fish. He told me to get the quad fish first then the shortboard. He said he loved the retro fish quad for Jersey surf, but that he's also gotten some great feedback on that diamond tail quad. I've surfed my fish in everything from shin high mush to a foot or two overhead and it works great for me. I told him I wanted it to work for me not just in mush, but when it got steep. He pulled in the nose a bit and gave it a tad more nose rocker and it's spot on. I've had it out on a few really fast steep days and it gets me into the wave pretty good for a fish. It also catches the smaller stuff almost as easy as my longboard. I attached some pics below. I highly recommend ordering a custom from Brian to anyone who lives in Jersey. Boards on my want list now are a DK speed dialer, Bonzer (Campbell Bros or Mayo; either bumblebee or shortboard), a COS Deevolution 2 and of course the Wynn diamond tail quad.

Its an old thread, but a good one to pick up on.

For the record, i'm 22, 5'10" and 170lbs and have..
    * 6'8" CI Surftech Flyer- it's a bit big and stiff for me but I can surf it in just about any condition. If i could re-order it I would have gone with a 6'6"
    * 6'4" Retro fish from a local shaper- its a ton of fun on clean left-overs from a storm.
    * 7'2" WRV funboard- Its a bit of a beater and has some minor delam. I usually led this to friends who want to try surfing or take it out myself when its small and clean or if I just want an effortless ride.
    * 6'2" wide nose fish- I am currently shaping this board myself with the help of a local guy. A ton of volume (2 3/4") and super boxy rails. I bit of a spoon in the nose and a 12'' tail with a 6" butt crack. If you've got the time, give shaping a shot. You'll be amazed at how much you learn about surfing and surfboard construction.

Heres the big secret about the best board for the east coast- THERE ISN'T ONE!

A 50 year-old with a bad back and reconstructed knee isn't going to ride the same board as a 16 year-old ripper. Also, everyone has a different style. Some people prefer the glide of a 10' longboard, while others are gunna want the snap of a 6-0 thruster.

I think the best way to find the perfect board for you is to try out different boards. Craigslist has some pretty good deals, barrow friend's boards, or talk to your local shaper and find out what he sees you on (and yes, there are plenty of shapers if you ask around). If you have the money and space, try to build a quiver. Different conditions and different moods dictate a different board. Can you surf every condition on one board- yes. Could you surf better in some conditions on a different board- yes.

The biggest mistake is going out and buying Kelly Slaters board. He has much more skill than you and surfs better waves. You wont be able to ride it the same way he does....

In general though, it seems like most east coast boards tend to be wider and have more volume. East coasters also tend to ride them a bit longer, but thats just my observation.

Ive been honing my east coast quiver for about a decade now, and this would be my optimum east coast quiver combining my favorite boards over the years.

9'0'' Tim Nolte longbaord (for anything under the sun)
    6'6'' merrick round pin taylor knox (for hurricane swells, or travel)
    6'1'' merrick mbm2 for the best head high-overhead swells
    6'2'' lost SDII for when the mbm2 is just not enough volume (chest high windswell?)
    5'10''' Lost Round Nose Fish set up as a twin or a twinzer (for when i dont feel like longboarding)

5 boards seems like alot for the EC, but hey whynot ?.... i could get away with just the RNF and the mbm2 i think.

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    i have a 9'6" log and a normal thruster and that does me just fine year round. Those are really all you need, in my opinion.

8. im 6'3 220lbs i ride a 6'6 anacapa glider(pretty much a merrick flyer) and a 6'8 round pin byrne.
    I used the anacapa in anything from knee-head high
    as for my bryne i can use it in anything as small as waist high to double overhead
    i think fishes are nice for the east coast but im not a fan of twinnies or retro quads
    i would like to replace my anacapa with a 6'4 quad shortboard
    however i think its all preferance and i like the reponse i get out of my shortboards

Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    i have a 9'6" log and a normal thruster and that does me just fine year round. Those are really all you need, in my opinion.

Who said anything about "need"?

This thread is all about glutony, not humility.

Perfect quiver for me is one that allows me to add a new board every year. But for now I'm working on this list at about the rate of a new board every other year:

9'6" Noserider, - small fun clean days when you can get toes on the nose
    9'6" Performance longboard for chest plus blown out mush
    6'2" Oversized fish (quad) - shin to belly mush when you don't want to carry a longboard
    6'2" CI Flyer or quad shortboard groveler - waist to chest semi clean to clean
    5'10" Canard Quad fish - speed dialer shape (DK or Pavel) - stomach to chest semi clean
    6'4" Knox or MBM - chest to head and a half, fall and travel boards
    6'6" single fin - when you're feeling old school or surfing with the over 40 crowd
    6'2" Bonzer - for those super steep fast days chest to a few ft OH
    6'8" semi gun - if you're brave enough

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by satanv View Post
    here's my hypothesis for the minimal ideal jersey quiver.

one board is not enough, you need three if you want to surf often:

1. a longboard - whatever type you prefer -- e.g. a 9 footer for those minimal days

2. a fish/twin/quad type of thing - for windslop junk and clean small weak swells -- e.g. a 5'10" or 6'0

3. a real thruster for those good days when it's really hurling barrels everywhere. e.g. a 6' or 6'2 thruster

that's about it.

That sounds about right (or about what I have anyway), maybe a 6'6" to 7'0" step up round pin also...