LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volcom

Images
    Its the American way... Bigger companies buy out smaller companies - happens every day. I think generally, you lose a little of the core value of the company when it is controlled by an external source motivated mainly by profit margins rather then what the initial developers sought it out to be.

Images
    So Micah, when's Surfline gonna snap up SwellInfo for a quick 608 mil?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    So Micah, when's Surfline gonna snap up SwellInfo for a quick 608 mil?
    haha, ya, I think that might be a little too low...

I agree that the the "core" of the brand will be somewhat lost. But lets face it Volcom sold out to hte masses years ago. I went to ****s SPorting Goods to buy golf balls as i walked to the golf section i passed the "water sport" stuff there it was a rack of VOlcom board shorts right next to the Speedo beach volleyball shorts. Took my daughter into Macy's and there next to Hurley Quik, No fear Billabong and others is Volcom. Same thing happened to RVCA after Billabong bought them, they started pushing the product line into mainstream stores instead of real srf shops located in beach towns. There's no money to be made in "core" anymore, you need soccer moms with credit cards to buy your products along with guys that actually use them.
    Last edited by bushwood; May 10, 2011 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    There's no money to be made in "core" anymore, you need soccer moms with credit cards to buy your products along with guys that actually use them.
    Precisely. Without those soccer mom's quiksilver, rip curl, and billabong certainly wouldn't be shelling out money to run contests. Not saying a agree with it, but it's the state of affairs right now.

Thanks for this post!!! Offically, NOT buying Volcom anymore. The company may remain the same but the "Youth Against Establishment" vibe is a f*cking joke.. GUCCI, how soul less. As always the mighty green dollar speaks, sell your soul for a buck. Now we can be as generic as the rest of them. Let's all get blow outs and Volcom side bags....yuck!!!