LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I knew sharks lived in the ocean

Iv seen sharks 3 times wile surfing. once in cape may wile surfing at dusk, then later the same night surfing by streetlight (bad idea) then Once in the outerbanks, The first time in cape may was by far the scaryist. It was a large brown shark around 7 feet, It broke the top of the water about 40 feet from me at the end of the jetty. I was a little freeked out but i kept surfing. then about 30 min later i saw another one that was much smaller wile paddeling in.

I saw a seal in the lineup at Sandy Hook a few weeks ago, if this trend continues New Jersey could become the next Cape Cod

Images
    I surfed Monmouth County yesterday and there were bait fish and striped bass all over. Along with the fish, the water was so warm that i took my gloves and boots off and was fine. It really wouldn't surprise me if sharks are starting to move into the lineup.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroevol View Post
    lost, so you are saying sharks like offshore winds, too?
    preeeee...cisely!

Surfed right over one last week at Juno pier, little bugger, but the water was so clear you could see him easily. Jersey water, you won't see them coming...

In all seriousness if your way out in the line up and saw a massive shark swimming next to you , what would be the best thing to do ? Play cool don't move and silently piss your Wetsuit, or would you paddle for dear life back to shore?

I know paddle back to shore is better but sharks see the kicking and splashing as a injured animal ( easy prey )

I seen a shark up on the north end of brigantine, last august. I was out real far b.c brig breaks on an outer san bar, I was on a 10'6 longboard (first and only time riding a LB) Saw the fin traveling south towards the south jetty, waited for it to pass a little bit, kept legs and arms on the board then paddled in so quick. I took that as my sign to never ride a longboard again

Images
    only 50 yr olds and older can ride long boards...the rest are kooks. Unless it's the rare occasion you're out there messing around.

If I notice any bait fish jumping and large swirls in the area of the bait good idea to keep an eye out for what chasing the bait. If the bait is large then usually the predator is much larger to swallow the bait. The water clarity doesn't offer the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the feeding frenzy but having bait below my legs is not a welcome sight so just paddle away as prediators usally keep the bait moving. As far as Sharks, sighting are few and encounters rare for the Delmarva Region.