LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Out

I think that sometimes ditching your board is necessary, however i do not praise the thought of doing it regularly or within 15 feet of another. I always paddle straight out and duck dive the whole way. But it doesnt matter how good or bad you are, when you have 5 ft. + waves breaking onto a knee- waist deep low tide sand bar. There's no way to duck dive it without drilling the tip or fins of your board on the sand. In this case though i never let my board just go. I drop down to the bottom and hold closer to the tail of my board (on the leash) and keep it from working someone.

One of the top 10 rules of surfing sizeable waves: always hold on to your stick.

I swam for 4 years, I'll be ok without a board. "Bro-down" with me parking lot? Because I ditched my board? Stop being a beta phaggot
    you are a total donkey

4. Bro Down
    Bro's Getting their bro on, doing bro things.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4122930

exp. Beer bongs, Fist pounding, popping collars, saying bro, saying dude.
    Whats up bro! Lets do some beer bongs and pop our collars, Yea lets have a Bro Down.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    you are a total donkey

4. Bro Down
    Bro's Getting their bro on, doing bro things.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4122930

exp. Beer bongs, Fist pounding, popping collars, saying bro, saying dude.
    Whats up bro! Lets do some beer bongs and pop our collars, Yea lets have a Bro Down.
    I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight. Some kid from Monmouth beach called me a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight. Some kid from Monmouth beach called me a donkey.
    LOL

dave maybe you should bring your whining to a "bro-down" messageboard instead of a surfing one.

If you can't hold on to your board, then you don't belong out there

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    If you can't hold on to your board, then you don't belong out there
    +1 on that

If you are in the habit of ditching your board, go somewhere where you can surf alone for a few weeks and get rid of the leash. You'll learn quick to hold onto your board that way haha. And when your done you will no longer be using your leash as a crux, but as a convenient backup tool.

anyways, i usually sprint most of the way out. If its a really long paddle then i will slow it down until i hit the impact zone.

Good observations on the the momentum into duck dives, i always try to speed up b4 a good duck !~

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Question: When you paddle out, lets say on a decent sized day that you know is not going to be the easiest of tasks, do you start off from the beach and paddle as hard as you can to get beyond the breakers or do you casually paddle (reserving energy) until you get to the impact zone then go hard? Just wondering
    Depends on what I'm on. On a shortboard, I treat it as a warm-up, pacing my paddle and breath-rate. I'll pick up some speed if I can avoid a punishing breaker...otherwise, I just maintain & duckdive.

On a longboard, I take advantage of the speed that the board can generate and paddle like hell.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    +1 on that

If you are in the habit of ditching your board, go somewhere where you can surf alone for a few weeks and get rid of the leash. You'll learn quick to hold onto your board that way haha. And when your done you will no longer be using your leash as a crux, but as a convenient backup tool.
    amen i hate people who just ditch their board and that makes me have to worry about having a board land on top of me. i second that people should hold onto their board closer to the tail as possible incase they do ditch and not worry about their leash. as a 6ft leash can stretch alot.