LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clark foam

Images
    I've shaped a bunch of boards now, the first ones being on clark and the last few on no name or whatever Mitchell pawned off on me . I swear I can't tell the difference between any of them. I guess I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate clark foam.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtythirty34 View Post
    us blanks is essentially the same thing as clark now. purchased all the old equipment and formula.
    Yes... but what they don't have are the molds. And that's what made Clark's blanks the best. Hundreds of different rockers... all of them developed over years (perhaps generations) of professional surfers and shapers. Tweaked, refined and perfected to within millimeters. If you knew what you were after, in terms of a specific shape from a specific plug, you could get there quickly and not have to make many adjustments. You never had to look at the numbers and say, "yea... I can get that out of that blank." You just went to the blank you knew worked well and followed the natural rocker of the blank, except for the last foot or so at either end, where you put your mark on the shape.

Images
    speaking of blanks...

Anyone on here shaped Eskimo Foam?

Their blank catalog is sick, and i love some of their fishy blanks because they have some that are wide like the Clark/US 6'2" C but Eskimo's is only 2 3/4" thick instead of 3 1/4"

Considering all the small performance fishes being made that nobody (myself included) really wants to be more than 2 1/2" thick, it always drove me nuts having to make like 10-2 complete passes on the bottom using the Clark and US fish blanks.

I talked to their rep about getting some, and basically was told that all the eskimo blank are scooped up by shaper that are local to their San Diego and Florida distribution hubs.

Have not tried Eskimo foam. Sounds perfect for those summer groveler boards and mod fish so popular these days. But I'm right there with you on the magic 2 1/2" thickness number. Unless your a really big guy, a really old guy, or a novice, 99% of the time 2 1/2 is plenty.

On a side note... all my personal boards are 2 1/2... retro fish, PSB, and big wave board. It's the magic number for me on everything except a log. All the other differences are in rocker, foil, template, etc... but thickness stays the same. Sounds so wrong but it feels so right!