Crowded line ups

the better you are at surfing = the amount of people in the line up

Images
    Crowded Summer days you gotta do it like Dora

http://youtu.be/DBj7yjSzMik

Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    the better you are at surfing = the amount of people in the line up
    let me guess. you work at NASA?

Ride the vehicle that gets it done. Not all SUPs are bad. Surfing for 24 yrs and SUP'in for 3. Help the noobs out by let them know either way about dropping in, snakeing and Hoggin, the nice way or the old school way (yell). they will get the hit. Everyone wants to be nice and not get involved.

If peeps are sitting on the inside and in the way, tell them to move if there hoggin then have some words. Yes SUP are wave catchin machines and there is going to be a good collection of older noobs out there but they have to learn some way.

Have fun and give a wave but don't let them snake

97 days till no more Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Destructo View Post
    Ride the vehicle that gets it done. Not all SUPs are bad.
    i agree w/ half of your statement; ride the vehicle that gets the job done. if it's a loggin' day, log it up. if it's a shortboard day, go shred.
    that said, i disagree that not all SUPs are bad (in the line-up). i've had exactly 1 positive experience sharing a line-up w/ SUPers, & that was earlier this spring. it was a small day w/ a high-ish tide at my local, so the waves were kinda just rolling thru to the inside section. you'd catch the wave out the back, cruise & trim to the inside, then get up on the nose & tuck in for the close out speed section on the inside...good fun, really! there was no one else out besides me & these 2 SUP guys. i chose a peak well away from them, but, being able to cover so much ground, they ended up briefly sharing my peak from time to time. & it wasn't bad. they were competant (for janitors) & friendly enough. the funny thing was, i caught way more waves & was getting into them sooner on my 9'6" log than they were on their SUPs!
    but as i said, that's the only positive experience i've had w/ SUPs in the line-up. halfway around the world, i got hit my an out of control jackass on one in the maldives (he was not riding a wave, just paddling through the line-up. i was sitting, waiting my turn at the peak...); i've seen groms get run over by them, & i've seen them exhibt the poorest of poor behavior, hogging waves & dropping in.
    i think SUPs are fine tools for working out on the water...i'd even consider getting one myself for just that reason. but i don't think that they belong in the average jersey line-up (cue response mentioning laird, et. al...)

as far as crowded line-ups go, learn to body surf! there's a LOT more room out there when you lose the board sometimes...

I love when the clean up set wave doubles up.....all the clueless get caught inside and get swept....if I'm on it, I let out a long hoot or a loud yeeehaw and watch their eyes bug out like a cartoon....good stuff. I saw a 2 person kayak get smacked by a set wave,.....solid 2ft created havoc and panic at the same time....classic.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    as far as crowded line-ups go, learn to body surf! there's a LOT more room out there when you lose the board sometimes...
    Yeah...body surfing rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by whosthat View Post
    I love when the clean up set wave doubles up.....all the clueless get caught inside and get swept...
    'Clean up set' in the summer? Where do you surf?...I want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Crowded Summer days you gotta do it like Dorahttp://youtu.be/DBj7yjSzMik
    Saw a guy do a Dora yesterday... nearly ended up in a fistfight... over a two foot mushball. Funny $hit.

as of monday night back to normal empty beachbreak here until weekends and official school's out summer june 17then i go escape to Hatteras