Hey all. Any suggestions on good breaks/sandbars on Edisto Beach, SC? Gonna be headed up there from 6/4 thru 6/11 for a vacation. Thanks for any suggestions.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: Surf spots in Edisto Beach, SC
May 30, 2011, 10:46 PM #1Junior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2010
- Palm Bay, FL
Surf spots in Edisto Beach, SC
They don't exist -- simple as that. If you own a skimboard bring that because that will get good use at Edisto. My in-laws have a place at Edisto so I'm there quite a bit so I speak from experience.
You can certainly bring your board and pray for surf in SC in June. If it does happen, you can make the trek to Folly Beach north of Edisto or head south to Hunter Island. Never surfed Hunter but heard it breaks there. If you have access to a boat, Hunter is very close -- you can see if from Edisto. If you need to drive, it's a *****. Actually driving anywhere from Edisto is a *****.
I'm guessing, based on your question, that you've never been to Edisto. Let me provide a little guidance if I may... Obviously I don't know your age, who you are traveling with or what you are into so these are just some general comments.
1. Don't plan on surfing at Edisto because it won't happen... When you get there, you will understand -- it's shorebreak...
2. Don't speed on Edisto. Even a couple of miles over the posted limit will get you pulled. I've been pulled over in our golf cart to put things into perspective. The retired cops that now make up the Edisto Police get great satisfaction sticking it to people that don't follow the rules...
3. If you golf, bring your clubs. There is decent course, The Plantation, that I believe is around $65 a round. Not long, but challenging nonetheless...
4. If you get bored easy, better bring whatever it is that going to relieve the boredom. There is not a whole lot to do at Edisto to put things politely. Beer, friends and cornhole (in that order) usually work for me. Our day in Edisto -- breakfast; pack the golf cart with coolers; beach games and tunes; head to the beach and consume a lot of beer enjoying the stifling heat while watching the sweat roll off my head and into my beer...
5. There are a couple of dive bars to go to which we do on occasion on our bikes... That being said, we usually "import" our entertainment in the way of family and\or friends and just hang at our place.
6. Some other activities include offshore fishing and kayak tours.
I know I make the place sound awful but it really isn't -- unless you are going there to try and surf. It's a nice, family place that is most certainly "quiet"...
Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer for you as I would be happy to do so. We are actually headed there next the week of July 4th...
Have a good time!
Jun 1, 2011, 07:05 PM #3Junior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2010
- Palm Bay, FL
Thanks mostchillin. I used to live in the West Ashley section of Charleston and was aware of Folly but wondered about Edisto and surfing. I saw swellinfo had a report on Edisto so I was hopeful. I ride a 9'6" so I thought maybe I could at least ride some knee high if they were coming in. Swellinfo had that there was knee high this past week but it looks like it is bottoming out when we get there. I just would rather not lug my board and my son's up there 7 hours and watch Lake Atlantic. Thanks again.
Jun 22, 2011, 05:43 PM #4
Jul 3, 2015, 05:26 PM #5
Last edited by frost; Aug 28, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
being next to a rivermouth, it looks silty/muddy and sharky. Silty spots usually aren't that great for surfing. However...that little southwest shore on the end looks like it has the potential for long lefts during a hurricane swell.
Jul 6, 2015, 02:10 PM #7
I went at the end of may, and didn't "score" by any means, but i did surf 4 out of 7 days I was there and it really wasn't that bad. Yeah its a little shallow but mid-incoming tide would always push in some waves.
Did catch a 3 foot shark off the beach where i was surfing...
I was maybe a quarter mile down from beginning of the beach road.
Looked like there were a few groms having fun to the left of the first jettie at Finns.
bring your board... you would regret seeing waves go by that had your name (and nobody elses) written on them.
Jul 6, 2015, 02:22 PM #8
Last edited by frost; Aug 28, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Jul 6, 2015, 04:04 PM #9