LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i cant believe i am hearing so much negative about fish shapes! Man, get a retro fish, like 6'6 or so, 2.5 or 3" thick. You could fart in the bathtub and catch a wave on a board like that. As far as fish being frustrating on 95% of east coast waves is just silly. 95% of east coast waves are frustrating on their own. I have ridden my fish in everything from knee high shorebreak to DOH bombs, and I never, ever, felt like it was holding me back. I was actually really impressed with it on the big day. I broke my rhino chaser on my second wave and still had the fish in the car so I did what I had to.... and surfed it for like another 4 hours. Great times.

agreed,fish are fun in any size surf.

Not for the beginning, but for fish lovers:

As far as twin keel fishs working on DOH waves, i've had the fins not catch at all on macking bottom turns. It depends on the size and shape of the fins too. I'd go for a quad if you plan to take it out on big days.

[QUOTE=mitchell;98016]Pretty sure you mean Sunset Cliffs...i'm not sure he would have invented 5'6" twinnies if he had lived in Sunset Beach...

Right you are, Cotton! :P Twin Fin at Sunset would definitely be rad though...guess I'll have to spend the next hour on youtube wasting my life in search of that!

So after reading through all the information and misinformation on this thread I picked out a 6'10 x 2"3/4 shortboard (squash tail) off of craig's list. After a terrible session about a month ago at the naval jetty in DE, I was starting to second guess myself. However last Friday I made the trek to assateague for some uncrowded waist high sideshore surf. couldn't be happier with how the newish board navigated the waves. I'm excited to see how well it rides when the surf is a bit better.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

And by the way camping in Assateague is the most difficult thing ever. every last site was booked, not by tents, by campers and trailers. I had to drive all the way back to Henelopen to find a flippin' camp site! If anyone ever wants to loan a 9x9 patch of land next time I'm on the eastern shore, I'll be forever in debt to you.

FYI, there may be 1 or 2 days a year max when a shortboard is warrented at NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco the Kid View Post
    So after reading through all the information and misinformation on this thread I picked out a 6'10 x 2"3/4 shortboard (squash tail) off of craig's list. After a terrible session about a month ago at the naval jetty in DE, I was starting to second guess myself. However last Friday I made the trek to assateague for some uncrowded waist high sideshore surf. couldn't be happier with how the newish board navigated the waves. I'm excited to see how well it rides when the surf is a bit better.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

And by the way camping in Assateague is the most difficult thing ever. every last site was booked, not by tents, by campers and trailers. I had to drive all the way back to Henelopen to find a flippin' camp site! If anyone ever wants to loan a 9x9 patch of land next time I'm on the eastern shore, I'll be forever in debt to you.
    Not to mention the skeeters. Did you get the West Nile? :P

Glad to hear the board is working. Those waves are perfect for you, I would imagine. Even when Assateague gets some size, it's usually still a slowish wave that really lends itself to a fatty squash tail. Try hitting it again with head-high hurricane swell, and I bet you'll really enjoy...the camping is far better in September as well: cooler days and nights, fewer RV's, just a better scene overall.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    FYI, there may be 1 or 2 days a year max when a shortboard is warrented at NJ.
    Hahahahaha!

On a more serious note, glad to see you took the leap and got a more suitable board. You're gonna have a lot of fun... keep us posted.

Images
    well you've got yourself a basic 3 board quiver now pretty much. funboard for small mush waves, gun for juicier swells, and a shortboard for everything in between.
    oh and do you know what shaper/model the gun is? i'd like to see exactly what your talking about

what shop

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco the Kid View Post
    So I decided to move from a Fun Shape (7'4) to a short board/gun (7'4) style this spring. I say short board because I'm 6'4 200lbs. I figured a 7'4 gun would operate the same for me as your average sized guy riding a 6'5ish short board. HOWEVER i foolishly went with a pintail design rather than a squash tail and i'm only realizing this might be a problem after getting in the water over the last week. Am I hopelessly going to fail at riding this pin tail on chest high waves or am I just going though some adjustment period of moving from a thick bouy of a board to this thin gun? Thoughts? advice? insults?

Cisco
    allowed you to buy the board? if you explained your situation as u did on here, i would hope they didnt recommend that board. either way, its not the end of the world. next time if your friends or people in the lineup who your friendly with have a type of board your looking at buying, ask them to try it out for a few waves. live and learn