LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121

    waves go bye bye

    The surf timeline looks an awful like summer. Hopefully it is a short lived pattern...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brick
    Posts
    195
    not even a loggable bump in the next week huh?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Looking LAME-O through Tuesday...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,547
    Images
    269
    grovelled for two hours today in freezing cols water trying to soak up the last of this swell...

    Cant really complain though...wasnt this basically a unusually far north Bermuda High/trade wind swell that lasted for a solid 5-6 days? I mean it filled in last Friday if i recall, and there were still small long period lines this afternoon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    grovelled for two hours today in freezing cols water trying to soak up the last of this swell...

    Cant really complain though...wasnt this basically a unusually far north Bermuda High/trade wind swell that lasted for a solid 5-6 days? I mean it filled in last Friday if i recall, and there were still small long period lines this afternoon.
    Yes, very unusual, but I definitely wouldnt call it a Bermuda high swell.
    The high pressure was in the far north Atlantic (not common), with a small area of low pressure to the south generating the pressure gradient. Generally it is the opposite (Icelandic Low and High in he Central waters).

    In a Bermuda High scenario, you have the High Pressure much further to the south around Bermuda (go figure), which generates East-Southeast fetch south of the high (north of Puerto Rico).

    It was a nice little run for sure... If only this was common place.

  6. #6
    no need to worry, we're gonna get ours this year...I can feel it! Hurricanes gonna start up early this year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    no need to worry, we're gonna get ours this year...I can feel it! Hurricanes gonna start up early this year.
    I haven't really checked on archives, but the offshore water temps look warming then usual to me. 70 degrees on the Delaware Bay Buoy, 66 off of Central New Jersey. That is pretty warm for the beginning of June. But of more significance is the water temps in the Tropics and Gulf/Caribbean waters where the storms are generated. They are all supporting warm temps - 80 or so and plus.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    855
    Images
    1
    I guess I should take advantage of this flat spell and fix my board thats been buckled for the last 3 months...well, maybe I'll just go skate instead!

  9. #9
    i missed this swell. closest i got was riding my bike to the beach yesterday, and watching everyone else in envy. i've got some very odd virus or something that's going around. i didn't get sick at all this winter except for a mild cough right before i went to oahu in march for a week which lasted a few days before i got there to a few days after i got back. i can't remember many times i've had a cold any later than april or even march. once in august years, and years ago. i haven't been really sick since november of 09 when i had to cut my world surfing trip short after only visiting, and surfing mexico, and most of central america. my buddies continued on without me cause i thought i had swine flu, and didn't wanna be in one of those other countries when i got seriously ill. this whole virus sucks cause i can't talk, can't go out on jobs, have to call customers with my hoarse voice sounding like an 80 year old emphysema patient. i feel a lot better than i sound though. i took out a whole t-5 transmission on my 93 lx mustang, and i'm putting in the new one tomorrow. i wish i could have been down at the beach in that water trunking it in the cool water, and 90 degree sun in this nice swell! seriously i just want my voice back! next swell i'll be ripping it up!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I haven't really checked on archives, but the offshore water temps look warming then usual to me. 70 degrees on the Delaware Bay Buoy, 66 off of Central New Jersey. That is pretty warm for the beginning of June. But of more significance is the water temps in the Tropics and Gulf/Caribbean waters where the storms are generated. They are all supporting warm temps - 80 or so and plus.
    Down in MD, the actual water temperature at the shore was 54 degrees. That was 18 degrees lower than what the buoy said.