LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water temp

Images
    I use this website for NJ water temps. It uses satellite imagery and seems pretty accurate from my experience. Plus its real easy to see on the map when upwelling is occurring.
    http://www.thecoolroom.org/swimmers/swim_sst.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JonAngot12 View Post
    Been trunking it in vb for the past couple weeks. Feels great. Called my buddy who was down in Corolla earlier in the week and he said it was freezing down there. Didn't make sense to me since it's only about an hour away and it's to the south. Can someone explain this to me?
    Its called upwelling. We don't get much of it here in VB but on the outer banks its more prevelant. I am sure someone will come on here and give you the scientific version which i dont have time for... but basically from Corolla to Buxton if the winds blow West (in my experience its from offshore winds) for an extended period of time it holds the warmer surface water off the coast a bit and creates a current that runs 90* to the wind chruning up the colder water below. So the that warm 70* surface water drops to a 58* in 24 hours.
    I have been down south and surfed a fun groundswell with offshore winds at like 7mph for two days straight in boardshorts in August when tits 98* outside and the water is 78* and then hit the water early again the next day and the water temp is 58* in August from upwelling.
    If ya want the full version of upwelling google "coastal upwelling"

Images
    The process of upwelling occurs when the mean water transport along the coast moves away from the coast. This movement then allows colder, bottom water from offshore to move upward towards the coast.
    Here is a picture:

The mean transport of water offshore, occurs for East Facing coasts when the wind moves South to North. A process called the Eckman Transport, describes that the mean direction of water transport will be 90 degrees to the right of the surface wind direction. So, for east facing areas, this means the water will move directly away from the coast. In contrast, if we have a North wind, the water can often warm up, as the mean water transport will be move toward the coast.

I was close.