LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ripturbo View Post
    during the 420 thread craze a few months ago i tried to get the message out that drugs ruin lives and tear families apart and was met with hostile resistance. i know the 420 things is about weed and not heavy drugs or whatever but having been to the edge i can tell you that there are heavy consiquences just around the corner if you aint careful. not trying to be lame-o or whatever just check yourself because itll get ugly quick and its a long way back from the bottom.
    i think if he had just smoked a joint he'd still be alive

maybe if he hadnt ever smoked in the first place he would still be here but we wont ever know. i dont care whether or not folks burn just figure maybe someone somewhere might heed my advice and avoid trouble later on.nice reply though.

Lets take the rumors and speculation out of the air for a second and compare two options:

My theory- He was run down from mystery fever, his insomnia, his 50 year old heart, and the traveling. I think that his nightly hand-full of prescribed pills (yes, this is a huge problem in society, not just sports or ever surfing) put him in to a deeper sleep than he bargained for. The benzoylecgonine traces in his system- are just that. Small traces. ALSO, as far as benzo being "direct evidence of coke use", a simple google search yeilds "Benzoylecgonine is used as the main pharmaceutical ingredient in the prescription drug Esterom, a topical solution used for the relief of muscle pain". That sounds a little more consistent with him admitting to pain killer addiction in '09, eh?

Your theory- A several day coke binge sends him to near overdose-state for days as he DQ's from the PR tournament, fakes a diagnosis of denang fever, flies back to dallas (still in a near overdose state), gets denied from his HI flight, and finally makes it up to a hotel room where he follows through with overdosing (assuming from what is already in his system or he scored in dallas?)?? IF this was true they would have found more than just traces of benzoylecgonine, Its not hard for them to identify an overdose.

I lost my best friend to heart disease at 25 years old. It still hurts. We did enjoy life everychance we could back then. I will always remember the good times.
    I never met AI, but he did inspire me.
    Foster, Foo, Sion, Chesser, Burns, East, West, Worldwide.... the list goes on and on. It doesn't matter how,....they're gone. Remember the good times, their surfing, and their contributions to our great sport.
    It's an amazing line up of talent with plenty of perfect surf in the afterlife.
    And they don't get flat spells anymore....

In the words of Delbert McClinton, Andy seems more and more a "victim of life's circumstances". Had he never turned pro, he would never have been able to fulfill those dreams of surfing perfect waves and blasting the field at big contests. There's no doubt he loved to win. Stuck in Kauai with the same crowd forever would have made him miserable. At the same time, the pressure of the tour apparently took its toll. It's not just drugs either. Stress, we hear so often, is one of the primary causes of heart problems. Yes, they say he was genetically predisposed. But he also had a lifestyle filled with stress from sponsors, fans, travel, etc.

I suppose that's the curse of being a sensitive guy and great athlete on the world stage. Curren apparently had similar problems, though he survived the hard times. Lots of others (Jose Angel, Mike Peterson, etc) have struggled and not come out alive (or sane).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whosthat View Post
    I lost my best friend to heart disease at 25 years old. It still hurts. We did enjoy life everychance we could back then. I will always remember the good times.
    I never met AI, but he did inspire me.
    Foster, Foo, Sion, Chesser, Burns, East, West, Worldwide.... the list goes on and on. It doesn't matter how,....they're gone. Remember the good times, their surfing, and their contributions to our great sport.
    It's an amazing line up of talent with plenty of perfect surf in the afterlife.
    And they don't get flat spells anymore....
    cheers to that my friend

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripturbo View Post
    maybe if he hadnt ever smoked in the first place he would still be here but we wont ever know. i dont care whether or not folks burn just figure maybe someone somewhere might heed my advice and avoid trouble later on.nice reply though.
    I agree with you completely. If people really don't care about the risks, then whatever, I can't stop you. But later on that desire for weed often turns into something much more serious. Just watching kids change through high school proves everything. Everyone thinks "oh i cant get addicted, so its all good", but then farther down the road their once seemingly harmless hobby can take over their day to day lifestyle, grow into a real addiction to other substances, or actually f*** their body up.
    Last edited by ND081; Jun 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    I agree with you completely. If people really don't care about the risks, then whatever, I can't stop you. But later on that desire for weed often turns into something much more serious. Just watching kids change through high school proves everything. Everyone thinks "oh i cant get addicted, so its all good", but then you farther down the road their once seemingly harmless hobby can take over their day to day lifestyle, grow into a real addiction to other substances, or actually f*** their body up.
    Agreed,When I was in High School I hung out with a real bad ass crowd.I was the only one that didn't puff.From what I did see it did lead to some real hard core stuff.From what I hear their still at it many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Agreed,When I was in High School I hung out with a real bad ass crowd.I was the only one that didn't puff.From what I did see it did lead to some real hard core stuff.From what I hear their still at it many years later.
    i was the guy who tried everything first and wound up in a world of hurt for it. im getting away from thev initial topic i suppose but all in all i hate that andys gone and sure hope people stop and think how his brother and folks must feel. dont put your family thru it.

phenomenal surfer. terrible role model.