LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Great rocker profile & great choice of fin. Hard to tell, but did you put any belly in it?
    I decided to put a mild belly in the front two feet, the middle becomes dead flat, there is a mild single concave for about the rear two feet. Its waxed up and in the car for the morning break in sesh.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Its waxed up and in the car for the morning break in sesh.
    Sweet! Enjoy and tell us how she glides.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Sweet! Enjoy and tell us how she glides.
    Just got back from 2 hours in knee-waist high mushy lined up conditions. The board did everything i hoped for...paddled in easy, made instant speed on small flat-faced waves, slid right through fat small sections. From the few real cutbacks i tried, i could tell it has to be nursed a bit. It was way easier to ride than i expected. Based on one sesh...a real keeper for certain kinds of waves.

the fish eyes are really big!
    Can't see 'em from here, brother.

Awesome....

Just got back from 2 hours in knee-waist high mushy lined up conditions. The board did everything i hoped for...paddled in easy, made instant speed on small flat-faced waves, slid right through fat small sections. From the few real cutbacks i tried, i could tell it has to be nursed a bit. It was way easier to ride than i expected. Based on one sesh...a real keeper for certain kinds of waves.
    That's exactly the characteristics of my flatter mini-sim. I see you used Sea Shepards. With boxes being that far back, try using FT1s for some added release in those conditions.

A couple of sessions groveling in knee thigh high waves this week has motivated me to shape a "grovel" board for REALLY small weak conditions. Lined up clean 1-2 foot waves with slopey faces....Long slow waves that would make the average grovelor bog out. something that will get up and plane on mush.

I know i want something around 5'10" x 22" with flat rocker. SO many people are making boards around that size with this kind of tail (below). Ive never been able to get my brain around the functional purpose of this kind of wide, cut-off tail. Any ideas...will it work in small weak surf? What is the idea behind that kind of tail to begin with?
    The idea: Lord, Lindsay. 1963. Naval architecture of planing hulls. Cambridge, Md: Cornell Maritime Press.
    http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/760643

The short of it:
    -- While increasing speeds require the displacement hull to become progressively narrower, the planing hull moving at high speed requires the widest possible beam. (From the first part of Ch. 2, Aspect Ratios, see pp. 11-16.)

-- To simplify still further, the displacement hull can improve its speed only with added length; the planing hull requires added beam. (see pp. 12-13.)

-- "The first step toward such standardization of beam-length relationship must, of course, be an acceptable method of measurement which can he applied to all planing hulls with equal success. Such a measurement of the beam-length ratio is shown in Figure 4." (see p. 13 and also see figure 4 below from p. 12.)

roundtube... nice references... great resource. Surfboard designers have known about increased width and subsequent increase in speed for a long time. The trick is introducing bottom contours, rail edges, rocker, and fin specifications that keep the board controlable and maneuverable. Put together correctly, the result is a LOT of fun!

What a BUTT UGLY board!!!!

Images
    just recieved my mini simmons from Spirare Surfboards. It's 6'x23''x3''. Kevin Cunningham is a great guy to work with. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to use it yet due to work/school.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    What a BUTT UGLY board!!!!
    Yep... so ugly it's beautiful.