LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: austin surfshop

austin surfshop

anybody buy board building supplies from here , websites claims they are now selling everything you need . any body bought a blank or fiberglass or just general experience dealing with them , I normally use greenlight but austins local and i save a few bucks on shipping

Images
    I have nothing but good things about Austin . He's one hell of a shaper and a cool guy to deal with from what I hear. You shouldnt have anything to worry about

I've bought 2 boards from him (so far). His attention to detail is incredible. I haven't spoken with him about the supplies, so that's news to me. I suggest you go there and talk to him, though. He always seems interested in talking about surfboard design. While you're there, check out his boards. They're friggin' flawless and no 2 are alike. Personally, I believe that the product reflects the maker's philosophy, but that's just me.

Austin's in the shop on Fridays & Saturdays. The rest of the time, he's building boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    I've bought 2 boards from him (so far). His attention to detail is incredible. I haven't spoken with him about the supplies, so that's news to me. I suggest you go there and talk to him, though. He always seems interested in talking about surfboard design. While you're there, check out his boards. They're friggin' flawless and no 2 are alike. Personally, I believe that the product reflects the maker's philosophy, but that's just me.

Austin's in the shop on Fridays & Saturdays. The rest of the time, he's building boards.
    x2
    Austin IS the stoke.

Images
    his boards look absolutely amazing...they just come with a big price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    ...they just come with a big price tag.
    A big price tag compared to what??? A 7S "Super Fish" chinese pop-out piece of crap?

http://www.austinsurfboards.com/instock.htm

Not a single board on that In-Stock list looks over priced to me. Actually, quite the opposite. A 10' longboard with a resin swirl and glossed finish for only $1015
    http://www.austinsurfboards.com/imag...tock/11048.JPG
    I'd say that's at or below industry standard on a board of that quality. You know how much work goes into a board like that? I wouldn't call that a big price tag, I'd call that a good deal on a handmade piece of functional art.

Never bought a board nor supplies from there but he does demo days in the summer, so get out there and check out the goods!

Another positive experience here. Had Austin repair some dings/damage on both of my boards. Price was very reasonable, the time to have them ready was fine as well. Havent seen them yet but I am positive the repair work will be impecable as well.

Havent seen the work yet because I live a few miles inland (read that as a couple of hours) so I asked if I could pick them up when the surf got a little better, instead of making a special trip down. He had no problem storing them for me until then. Above and beyond what other shops would do I would say. I would definately have no problem purchasing my next board(s) or other merchandise from them and probably will because of my first experience.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    his boards look absolutely amazing...they just come with a big price tag.
    I think I know what you're saying. A thousand dollars is a thousand dolloars and (in and of itself) is a lot of money, but surfing stopped being a "cheap" passion 20 years ago. You have to compare apples to apples.

Research a 10'0", 100% hand-shaped & glass-laid board with no artwork & bounce it off of Austin's prices for one with resin tint and graphics. If you do that, I believe you'll find that your above statement isn't exactly accurate...and in many cases, the opposite is true.

No hostility, brother. Just trying to help you out.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Jun 13, 2011 at 02:33 PM.

shortboards for under 500? i'm not too sure how that is "pricy"