LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad ----> Twin

Images

Quad ----> Twin

hey guys. i have mixed feelings for my 5'6 al merrick pod quad. Some conditions its extremely tight and can barely go on rail, and other days its nice and loose. To get less stiffness on its bad days should i set it up as a twin fin? or will it be too loose? any experiences or knowledge would be a huge help

what type of fins do you normally run...

Images
    i think theyre the FAM1 quad in plastic "glass flex".. they have the channel islands logo on them
    EDIT: theyre future AM 1 quads
    Last edited by mexsurfer; Jun 16, 2011 at 02:24 AM.

Both setups are pretty loose, the quad holds better in more hollow waves where twin might lose the edge at times on a steeper face. So if its dead low tide the quad would be better, a higher tide I would go with the twin...

get a real twin fin

twinny rendered obsolete by some simon anderson guy way back. thruster thruster thruster. if yer board is shaped to be ridden quad just keep it that way and get it wired.hydrodynamics and all that sciency stuff

there are single fins,twin fins,tri-fins,quad fins,five fin bonzers and more that all work great.twin fins are a lot of fun

i know, im goofin cuz ive been trying on and off for years to get the twin fin thing right and it just wont work cuz im too hyper . singlefins are great. i seen guys go off on twinnys just not me.altering what its made to do usually dont work
    Last edited by ripturbo; Jun 16, 2011 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripturbo View Post
    twinny rendered obsolete by some simon anderson guy way back...
    there's not really such a thing as an "obsolete" surfboard design...just different ways of riding a wave.

climbing down off my soapbox now...

play around w/ your fins...the stock plastic fins, as crappy as they are, might be too big for you if you're a small guy. & given that you're riding a 5'6", i'm going to assume that you are a smaller guy, so leave the rears in place & grab a set of g-3's or g-5's & swap the fronts out for those. better yet, try to find a shop near you that is an fcs demo center (assuming the board is, in fact, fcs. if it's futures, go find a futures demo center) & try a bunch of different fins in the board.
    i have a a 5'8" fishcuit that i ride set up w/ fcs pc g-am (flat foil) in the front spots w/ fcs pc g-xq rears (80/20 foil) in the rear. this is the set up that seems to work best for me, & i arrived at it after trying a bunch of different fins in the board.
    quads are not like thrusters & really seem to be picky about what fins work best. i find that thrusters are more "plug & play", meaning you can just about slap any decent fin into one & the board will work well. yes, the proper set of fins will really bring it to life, but a thruster will still work. quads are more finicky IMO.

see previous quote. i love it all