LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    If you do your research, you can shape yourself one for cheaper. If you use all scraps, you could make one for around $150-200 or you could get a paulownia blank for $300.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    My personal opinion is that they are just another tool for hippies to show how throwback they are. From a practical standpoint I agree with LB. Don't think they would work too good in our waves.
    Nothing wrong with being a throwback ........or a hippie as long as you take a bath LOL

Images
    just like cartman, I hate smelly hippies

Images
    I was thinking about building one this winter. There is alot of info on the net about making them . If your in Highschool it would be a pretty sweet shop prodject cause all the tools needed are right there. I have acess to most of the wood working tools you would need Planer , Table saw witha biscute jig , and a cpl big jorgosen clamps too

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    If your in Highschool it would be a pretty sweet shop prodject cause all the tools needed are right there. Io
    My (ex) gf's lil bro made one for his senior project this past year. no word on trying it out yet, but it's in his blood: he's aaron powell's cousin aka this guy: http://vimeo.com/6464826

It IS a plank. It doesn't have to bemade of pawlonia. Cedar planks would suffice. Cut it out and ride it. Make it cheap

If you want to experiment with this idea, DO NOT buy one. Just build it yourself. It's a simple planshape, subtle bottom contours, pinched beveled rails, and no real rocker. Do it in stages, riding it in between. Get the full experience. Shallow concave, thicker rails to start. Ride it. Then take it back to the shop and deepen the concave, thin the rails... back in the water.

Last time I priced kiln dried paulonia blanks, they were 70-80 bucks for one on the shorter side. Shipping will cost you, but there's a supplier in South Carolina. 803-381-8735. Cedar is light and strong, too. Pine less so.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jun 19, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

That video is cool... Looks like a lot of fun. From what I've read they aren't hard to build, and like LBCrew said it'd be sweet to ride it between stages and kind of understand even better what small details do to your style of surfing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    My (ex) gf's lil bro made one for his senior project this past year. no word on trying it out yet, but it's in his blood: he's aaron powell's cousin aka this guy: http://vimeo.com/6464826
    only if the east coast had hawaii waves. I really agree with the others that it depends on the waves. This board may work on one of those winter days with small lined up waves with off shore winds, but I think I would just be too heavy for one, especially in the winter (225lbs dry)

Quote Originally Posted by aldous View Post
    Or maybe they're just looking for a new experience.

Not everyone is a poser.
    Agreed.

That being said, I probably would let it slide (no pun intended) as an east coast surfer. The scarcity of good waves is such that most of us don't feel like putting in the effort for something that may or may not work well. If it turns out you don't like it...might be a few weeks until you get to finally return to your fail-safe shape. As for those who don't mind giving it a go, I'll certainly enjoying watching and maybe give it a shot down the road if it looks worthwhile. Keep the vid's coming!