LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board Painting

Ginsu the baord came out great. Did you tape off and use spray paint for the black lines or did you use paint pen?

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    Ginsu the baord came out great. Did you tape off and use spray paint for the black lines or did you use paint pen?
    Thank You.
    I taped then sprayed the black. The nose area design was a little tough but do able. I definitely learned allot painting this board.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsumagic View Post
    Thanks for all the input, clear coat was the key! So now that I'm done painting the waves can come back!
    Attachment 3874Attachment 3875Attachment 3876Attachment 3877
    wow... extremely impressive! especially for your first
    im about 9 paint jobs in and i still cant get the tape to get a perfect smooth bend/curve

Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    wow... extremely impressive! especially for your first
    im about 9 paint jobs in and i still cant get the tape to get a perfect smooth bend/curve
    Thank You!

For the nose graphic: the lower portion the curves I covered the original design. For the upper portion I measured from the stringer out about every inch or so up the stringer. Thin masking tape is key too. I couldn't find 1/4 or 1/8 inch tape so i cut down 3/8 tape and used the uncut side. Used twice as much tape but it worked. They do make 1/4 inch blue painters tape I've been told. Also make sure the tape is firmly pushed down so you don't get too much run through resulting in rough edges. I used to paint cars so I learned allot about masking doing that, but that was many years ago! LOL

3848807572_c81e575df2_o_2.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0526.jpgIMG_0543.jpg
    Colors: Rustoleum plastic paint. let dry for a day and wet sanded with 400. The pin stripes I started wet sanding using a squeegee block to knock down the edges then finished by hand.
    Clear: Rustoleum Auto Enamel. Started with super thin coats. Had two areas where the paints reacted and wrinkled and bubbled a little, I let it dry overnight and wet sanded these areas and it was good after that.
    I wet sanded the clear with 2000 and machine buffed it with rubbing compound from Auto Zone.
    My friend who got me into surfing saw it today and now he wants me to paint his board. I've already got an idea for him that I think he's going to like it, Greatful Dead Steal Your Face theme.