LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    personally, i like seeing wind farms. when i see those in atlantic city, they make me happy, not angry. it shows we're making progression toward green energy and a better future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    personally, i like seeing wind farms. when i see those in atlantic city, they make me happy, not angry. it shows we're making progression toward green energy and a better future.
    Like...
    In Nags Head, at the Jennetts Pier, they have some wind turbines on the pier. Apparently the wind turbines fuel the entire pier's electricity, which includes a restaurant on the pier. Not sure if this is true or not, but it is definitely cool... The wind turbines on the pier weren't an eye sore at all, in fact they looked cool and were a perfect way to monitor the change wind direction and speed.

-To generate the same amount of electricity as a single 1-MW turbine for 20 years would require 23 million tons of coal or 92,000 barrels of oil.

-A single 1-MW turbine displaces 1,800 tons of carbon dioxide, the primary global warming pollutant, each year

-A 1-MW turbine generates enough electricity for 250 to 300 homes

http://www.continentalwindpower.com/...ergybasics.php

Just a few quick facts. I actually gave a presentation on Wind Farms for the Outer Banks and Northeastern NC for my public speaking class last week. The start-up costs for these things are pretty high and not very economical, but the long term effects greatly outweigh the high prices for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Like...
    In Nags Head, at the Jennetts Pier, they have some wind turbines on the pier. Apparently the wind turbines fuel the entire pier's electricity, which includes a restaurant on the pier. Not sure if this is true or not, but it is definitely cool... The wind turbines on the pier weren't an eye sore at all, in fact they looked cool and were a perfect way to monitor the change wind direction and speed.

This is true...and no they are def not an eye sore! Like someone posted earlier, it is great for surfers because you can tell the wind speed (estimate) and direction. I personally think wind harnessing should be exploited in all parts of the nation that contain significant amounts of steady winds.

Images
    I'm all for wind farms even with the initial costs. I've been seeing them pop up inland all over and think its awesome, any way we can start to decrease our dependence on fossil fuels is a step in the right direction.

Good info, don't forget that they make these things up to 5 megawatts now too, with plans to go to 7.5 mw soon... if they haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    -To generate the same amount of electricity as a single 1-MW turbine for 20 years would require 23 million tons of coal or 92,000 barrels of oil.

-A single 1-MW turbine displaces 1,800 tons of carbon dioxide, the primary global warming pollutant, each year

-A 1-MW turbine generates enough electricity for 250 to 300 homes

http://www.continentalwindpower.com/...ergybasics.php

Just a few quick facts. I actually gave a presentation on Wind Farms for the Outer Banks and Northeastern NC for my public speaking class last week. The start-up costs for these things are pretty high and not very economical, but the long term effects greatly outweigh the high prices for construction.

I wrote a paper on green energy sources last year also. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. And anyone who has been to Spain or Portugal will tell you that the wind turbines are every where. To see a large number of them all spinning at once is really quite impressive.

What does AC have, 5? Portions of Andalucia I traveled through had like 30-40 visible within eyesight. Canaries, too.

I'm all for alternative sources of energy, including wind turbines, but offshore? It will f*ck up the swell, guaranteed! Just wait till they're up, then it'll be too late! Put them onshore - there's still wind on the barrier islands and the mainland! Leave the offshore sites alone!

bad. too much $$$$ to build and up keep. No real difference between cost and energy made

Does anybody know of any windfarms that power a sizable area independently? I'm all about greener, but I haven't read (or heard) of any hard data (from an unbiased study) suggesting they have actually replaced or reduced the environmental impact of existing oil, gas or coal plants.

After seeing the statistics for recycling (vs the claims), I have to admit that I'm skeptical of any government-run "green" programs until I see the facts....not the proposals.