LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Summer Scum

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MB 07750
    Posts
    345
    i could fill the back of my truck up with fast food wrappers, empty 40 oz bottles, chicken bones and busted beach chairs that our weekend visitors leave behind, drive up the parkway to Elizabeth, Staten Island or Bloomfield etc. find some park with swingsets and Grills and picnic tables, dump it all and drive away. Thing is, no one would notice because it would just blend in with how it looks already. Best thing we can do is keep the badge fees high so we have money to clean up afterwards. Because I sure as **** can find a million better uses for my volunteer time and energy than cleaning up after pigs

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    Sweeping generalizations are pretty comical. People who live in cities are surrounded by garbage and dont know how to conduct themselves?
    Sweeping generalizations? I'm pretty sure we're being pretty specific....and it's not "surrounded by garbage" as much as "responsible for the garbage that surrounds them." Have you been to Staten Island? The Bronx? Brookyln? Queens? If not, you should visit before making a sweeping generalization about others that have to tolerate the filth of people that come from those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    Give me a break. At once, you're both providing an excuse and misdiagnosing the problem. There are people that care about the planet and those that dont. There are plenty of folks that live in cities for work AND the proximity to the ocean.
    Talk about sweeping generalizations! Give me a break. Can you be more specific in regards to location? I can. How about Coney Island. They live in the city and in proximity to the ocean. Visit that little slice of heaven and tell me how well they care for that section of the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    Some are famous for their green approach (Joel Tudor) and many practice a love for the planet and respect in the water.
    Do you mean Joel Tudor out of San Diego, CA? I don't know if you've realized, but there's a tad of a culture difference between CA & NY when it comes to the environment. Perhaps you can name Joel's equivalent working out of NYC? No sweeping generalizations, please.

    What you're reading here isn't something out of book or dug up on the internet. These are common people that live in NJ beach towns and have noticed an increase in the rudeness & litter that occurs when the NY license plates start filling up the parking spaces. Go 10 miles inland & it almost doesn't exist....neither do the license plates. Not so "sweeping" anymore...is it.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Jun 30, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

  3. #23
    Ray F - Where to start? Maybe with your avatar... it seems appropriate.

    As I think I alluded to in my earlier post, I do live in New York and have chanced upon the boroughs surrounding it. Like many people, Joel Tudor included (ever noticed how his Kookbox boards are now partially branded in NYC? Were you aware he is a NYC homeowner? Surfs Montauk and Long beach pretty regularly?), I moved here for a variety of reasons.

    To say that residents of NY are dirty is a... wait for it.... a sweeping generalization. To say that Californians are more green than their counterparts in NY is also.... a sweeping generalization that I just wouldnt agree with. You see, I can surf the day after rain in the east coast. Anywhere. Not true in California and I know this because I also lived there. Have you? It's a result of the massive amounts of pesticides and lawn treatments combined with the elevation changes. Sure they have "green" car lanes and talk about it a lot, but have you spent time in LA? Seen the smog cloud from the lineup in Santa Barbara?

    Why do I care to have this conversation with someone who gets angry and spouts off nonsense? Because I grew up at the beach in Jersey and my folks still live there. I'll spell it out with crayon for you: I have to deal with the same garbage you do. I chose to handle it proactively and not blame a "state". You seem sure it's NewYork. I'm just saying, there's a good chance it's NY, Philly, Asbury Park, etc.

    The only people I am quick to judge, are the people who earn it. You've earned it with your generalizations and internet anger. People from any state can earn it by littering. I'm sure as hell not going to be a hypocrite and assume someone's a jackwagon based on where there car is insured. Are you?

    There was a solid article in Surfer recently about not forgetting that surfing is about having fun. Trash upsets me as much as the next person but throwing garbage on the ground isn't any worse than throwing garbage on an internet forum. Your still throwing garbage out that others feel the need to clean up. The original poster was venting and i get that. His response similarly identified that he was being proactive in his approach as well... no worries with that. Fortunately, you came in at the nick of time to remind us all that there is in fact a "benny" everywhere.

  4. #24
    Forgot to include this: http://www.kookboxx.com/

    If you havent ridden one, they rock... A little pricey, but super fun.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    Ray F - Where to start? Maybe with your avatar... it seems appropriate.
    Ah...personal attacks. I won't say everyone in NY is hostile, but I know of one that claims he's from NY that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    As I think I alluded to in my earlier post, I do live in New York and have chanced upon the boroughs surrounding it.
    This explains a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    Like many people, Joel Tudor included (ever noticed how his Kookbox boards are now partially branded in NYC? Were you aware he is a NYC homeowner? Surfs Montauk and Long beach pretty regularly?).
    Notice how I didn't mention Long Island? Do you think that was a mistake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Present View Post
    To say that residents of NY are dirty is a... wait for it.... a sweeping generalization.?
    I don't know what beach you grew up at, but I was born and raised in Long Branch, NJ...2 blocks from the beach. I'm not going to get wrapped up in your liberal rhetoric about what NY residents deserve the title of "dirty."

    I've lived the life of a NJ beach town kid dealing with shoobies. It's not new and it's not in all of the NJ locals' imaginations. The reason is exactly because of what I've already mentioned in my last post. If you choose not to believe it, that's your choice. The people in NJ choose to believe it from personal experience.....not an internet soap box eulogy claiming geographically co-located people aren't responsible for the condition of their immediate envronment or the way the environments of the places they visit begin to look like where they're from.

    The only angry person is you, my friend. My avatar...I'm a benny, etc. You make that very clear. I get it. You're upset because you're from a place that isn't popular and you're not willing to consider that what's been said here is even remotely possible. Ever stop to think you're a minority in that party? Probably not. You're too busy fixing me. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Jun 30, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

  6. #26
    Ray - Argue the core of what I said instead of nit-picking. I dont believe you can declare an entire state to be filled with Dirty people.

    How do you know whose car is from Montauk or the Adirondacks and whose is from the city? Let me guess, you inspect the bumper for yellow taxi paint before passing judgement?

    I'm not angry, and if your reading comprehension was any better than your argument, you'd realize the point of my post was simple: Less *****ing, more correcting.

    I do realize that the beaches change when vacationers arrive. It's no different then when you go skiing/boarding, visit a city for the museum or a concert, etc. It's a smaller world than any of us realize and at the end of the day, taking a pro-active approach might open a few eyes that were previously closed.

    You seem very comfortable assuming you know who I am and how I live based on where I have my mail sent. How's that smart again? When you see a California plate, do you say, "WOW, I bet that guys RIPS"? What about Florida plates? Wow, I bet they cant surf anything over waist high? Come on man, admit it. Judging people in blanketed fashion hasnt worked out too well historically for anyone... I'd simply challenge you to jump to a few less conclusions and in the process, have a little more fun. I promise, the first time you hand someone their soda bottle on the beach, and they have no clue what to say, you'll be laughing a lot more than spouting hate on a web forum.

    I hope the surf is better in VB than it looks to be in Montauk or SJ this weekend or I'd imagine the ornery factor will only increase on both sides...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    I'll tell you what: You make the core your more identifiable and I'll address it more directly. You're all over the place, including sarcasm, personal attacks and attempted character assassination. My reading comprehension is now under question? Really?

    CA & FL plates? I actually think "Man, they must hate this weather."

    LOL. You win, bubba...not out of substance, but endurance. The New Yorkers that visit the beaches in NJ are the cleanest and most cordial people I know.

  8. #28
    Thank god NYer's don't know where my spot is!

  9. #29
    Character Assassination? Come o....... just kidding.

    I suppose we agree to disagree. New Yorkers visiting NJ may well bring poor manners but I'll hope that not everyone who sees NY plates assumes it's filled with nature hating kooks based on that fact alone.

    Similarly, I'll try and keep an open mind when I see fast and the furious prop cars with yellow license plates in Montauk bumping techno at 10am as I get out of the water (kidding, kidding....)

    Here's to cleaner beaches thanks to awareness and the efforts of those that care enough to do something about it regardless of where they sleep or register their cars. As the original OP stated, here's also to winter swell, crowds, and waves...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chadwick
    Posts
    1,297
    i love new york and i love new yorkers,but not the ones who come down here every summer,those new yorkers are a bunch of filthy,rude,selfish scummy pigs.