LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 10 of 24

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Explosives and train cars

    I know some of you have heard about the explosives found on the beach in ocmd at 50th and 12th street. Does anyone have any info on if there are more? Or how they got into the ocean. It seems like the town dealt with it the best they could, but to have dangers like that right in our playground, AND during our best season, should be taken quite seriously, and being that we are in the ocean almost daily, we in particular should be informed.

    The other thing I heard about was the 600 train cars that oc is trying to buy. As of now they said the plan is to build an artificial reef just off the coast. I read an article which said it will greatly benefit the fisherman and ecological aspect... I don't see how putting all that steel in a natural environment such as the ocean can do any good. I was confused because they didn't say a word how it would effect the waves, or our health. Does anyone know if it would effect the waves and conditions one way or another. Cuz if it kills the breaks, there is really no reason for me to stay living here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get up and leave if the surf got ruined.

    What do you all think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    The other thing I heard about was the 600 train cars that oc is trying to buy. As of now they said the plan is to build an artificial reef just off the coast. I read an article which said it will greatly benefit the fisherman and ecological aspect... I don't see how putting all that steel in a natural environment such as the ocean can do any good. I was confused because they didn't say a word how it would effect the waves, or our health. Does anyone know if it would effect the waves and conditions one way or another. Cuz if it kills the breaks, there is really no reason for me to stay living here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get up and leave if the surf got ruined.
    What do you all think?
    Wow, I never heard of this. I'd like to find out more info. Most likely this would affect the surf, but it depends on how far offshore, and how deep from the ocean surface. I would suspect this would definitely affect the surf - most likely not in a good way, unless there was some intelligent purpose in contructing the reef condusive for good surf. Is this published anywhere online?

  3. #3
    I read about it in this weeks dispatch (the oc newspaper). Check it out.
    Last edited by steelwave42; Oct 6, 2007 at 09:30 PM.

  4. #4
    check with the surfrider foundation chapter in ocmd. they should have more info on the plan

    brasco

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    I know some of you have heard about the explosives found on the beach in ocmd at 50th and 12th street. Does anyone have any info on if there are more? Or how they got into the ocean. It seems like the town dealt with it the best they could, but to have dangers like that right in our playground, AND during our best season, should be taken quite seriously, and being that we are in the ocean almost daily, we in particular should be informed.


    The other thing I heard about was the 600 train cars that oc is trying to buy. As of now they said the plan is to build an artificial reef just off the coast. I read an article which said it will greatly benefit the fisherman and ecological aspect... I don't see how putting all that steel in a natural environment such as the ocean can do any good. I was confused because they didn't say a word how it would effect the waves, or our health. Does anyone know if it would effect the waves and conditions one way or another. Cuz if it kills the breaks, there is really no reason for me to stay living here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get up and leave if the surf got ruined.

    .

    What do you all think?
    Back in the day, (up until the early 70's) the national guard used to fly radio controlled small aircraft up and down the coast and fire at them from both the coast and boats. U mostly just find shell casings but somehow a lot of unexploded stuff ended up on the ocean bottom. for the most part they are rusted through and dead,


    w/ reagard to the train cars its already been done up in delaware and other places. anything hard on the ocean bottom becomes habitat for plants and fish. its put in deep enough water that has no effect on waves. Putting them in anything shallow enough to affect waves would be a navigational hazard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    its put in deep enough water that has no effect on waves. Putting them in anything shallow enough to affect waves would be a navigational hazard
    This statement is not true!

    The following shows how deep waves travel underneath the ocean surface with relation to the wave period:

    The equation for the depth a wave reaches underneath the surface with respect to wave period is:

    Depth(ft) = Period*Period * 2.56ft , where period is in seconds.

    10 sec period => 256 ft
    12 sec period => 369 ft.
    14 sec period => 502 ft.
    16 sec period => 655 ft.
    18 sec period => 829 ft.
    20 sec period => 1024 ft

    The trains may not be elevating the surface that much, so may not influence the waves that much, but as you can see by the equation above, that any longer period swell will feel the bottom pretty far off the east coast. The continental shelf some 20 miles off the coast has a depth of near 420ft.

  7. #7
    you're right... saying they wil have "no effect" was wrong. What i meant was that in 30-40 feet of water the waves won't be shoaled (broken) by the reef. Whether such a structure would have any noticable effect on wave heights on the beach is beyond me. There are even potential beneficial effects of offshore reefs if the swell lines are focussed a bit through convex refraction when they pass over the reef and the resulting a-frames increase wave height behind the reef. Plenty of spots in SoCal have higher wave heights than surrounding area where offshore reefs focis swell.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    you're right... saying they wil have "no effect" was wrong. What i meant was that in 30-40 feet of water the waves won't be shoaled (broken) by the reef. Whether such a structure would have any noticable effect on wave heights on the beach is beyond me. There are even potential beneficial effects of offshore reefs if the swell lines are focussed a bit through convex refraction when they pass over the reef and the resulting a-frames increase wave height behind the reef. Plenty of spots in SoCal have higher wave heights than surrounding area where offshore reefs focis swell.
    good point. this could create a refraction process that could focus swell into particular areas. It could either help or hurt spots. create new ones, destroy old ones... we need more details.

  9. #9

    Artificial Reef

    The train cars will not be dumped into any random area off the beach. They will go to one or more of the areas that have been set aside for artifical reefs. The closest area is Kelly's reef about 1 mile off 28th st, the other reef sites are farther out and to the south. The OC Reef Foundation has dropped everything from concrete pipe, military tanks, to old boats in these areas. Everything that would be hamful to the enviorment is removed. If you have ever dived a wreck, you would see how it transforms an almost lifeless area into a highly populated reef community. This will not have any impact, good or bad on surfing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillstikihut View Post
    The train cars will not be dumped into any random area off the beach. They will go to one or more of the areas that have been set aside for artifical reefs. The closest area is Kelly's reef about 1 mile off 28th st, the other reef sites are farther out and to the south. The OC Reef Foundation has dropped everything from concrete pipe, military tanks, to old boats in these areas. Everything that would be hamful to the enviorment is removed. If you have ever dived a wreck, you would see how it transforms an almost lifeless area into a highly populated reef community. This will not have any impact, good or bad on surfing.
    cool. thanks for the info. I still am not going to sway away from the fact that there could be an impact on the deep water swells. Like South Bethany mentioned there could be a refraction influence which will bend the offshore swells into certain areas.

    For any OCMD locals, there is a reason why the 48th street area tends to pick up swells better than other areas and that has to do with the offshore bathymetry focusing the energy into that mid oc area, especially on North swells.