LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    cool. thanks for the info. I still am not going to sway away from the fact that there could be an impact on the deep water swells. Like South Bethany mentioned there could be a refraction influence which will bend the offshore swells into certain areas.

For any OCMD locals, there is a reason why the 48th street area tends to pick up swells better than other areas and that has to do with the offshore bathymetry focusing the energy into that mid oc area, especially on North swells.
    Interesting, I wondered why midtown seemed to pick up swells a bit better.

Images
    I found an old public notice from the Army Corps in 2002 about Kelly's reef and it had a crude map on it and from what I could tell Kelly's reef is about a half mile off Assateague not at 28th.

morninglines22 Guest
    I took a scuba class from the guy that runs Sea Colony aquasports in Severna Park, and i'm pretty sure he had mentioned something about having a hand in creating the reef that's offshore of the Assateague/inlet area (if I remember correctly). His name's John Kiser, he seems to kind of be the "Duke" of scuba diving if thats possible, and he's essentially just a badass dude who loves the water. I'm sure he'd share any knowledge he has of it if you asked him, his email's dive@seacolony.net

Kelly's Reef

Kelly's reef is off 28th st. There are several area of artifical reef pyramids and and old apple barge. When the croaker are off the beach you will see the party boats working that area.

Images
    http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Regula...r/02-62089.pdf
    Go down to the map at the bottom, it's not at 28th street.

Purnell's Reef

I was wrong, Kelly's reef is just south of little gull and about 3 miles off the north end of Assategue. Purnell's reef is off 28th st.

Images
    i just looked at that chart.

Its not that deep out there...

At first I was thinking that was what we call the shoals off the Ocean City inlet, but thats much further out. That place might break on a big long period swell (which rarely happens). Not at Kellys Reef, but just north at Little Gull Bank, where the depths go below 20ft.

Any mariners here want to verify? or keep it a secret?
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Oct 17, 2007 at 12:06 AM.

Little Gull

There are areas out there as shallow as 15 feet. I was out there fishing on a day with 8-10 ft swells and you could see that it started to line up and get steeper in that area, but it wasnt even close to breaking. It would really have too be huge for it to break out there. I would not want to go through the inlet on a day like that.

Images
    Ya, i'm thinking if there were ever any Giant swells like they get in the north pacific that place could break, but it just those just dont happen around here.

One of the areas, where my forecast knowledge could be increased is in learning the different bathymetry patterns of different breaks. Most bottom data is available out there, but I believe you have to pay for most hi-res coastal charts. Anyone know any different? I've done the searching before, but I cant remember exactly.

charts

find someone with the charts on gps or on paper. most fisherman have these. cant be too hard to find on the internet too.