LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    OC has one way off shore. they dropped all those old cleaned up subway cars from NYC off the OC MD coast a few years back, but from what I understand, that is an artificial reef about 20 miles offshore... Interesting to see the pics though. Looked crazy. Just dropping subway cars off a barge.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    OC has one way off shore. they dropped all those old cleaned up subway cars from NYC off the OC MD coast a few years back, but from what I understand, that is an artificial reef about 20 miles offshore... Interesting to see the pics though. Looked crazy. Just dropping subway cars off a barge.
    It was my understanding that project or at least site 11 was to restore marine habitat, and for the most part it worked. We're pulling very nice flounder off of those cars, the size of which I haven't seen in years. Makes for good sea bass too.

fishing? theres another site for fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ripturbo View Post
    fishing? theres another site for fishing
    Yeah, I know, but you got to do what you got to do this time of year during the flat spells.

Artificial reef design is in a state of rapid evolution right now, and has come a long way in the last few years. It is now seen as a viable solution to erosion mitigation AND creating recreational opportunities, including fishing and surfing. Many reefs created in past years specifically for surfing have failed, but much has been learned. That knowledge is now being put to use, and the new generation of reefs should prove to be more successful. Several are in the planning/permitting stages now... none of them on the east coast, as far as I know. But they're starting to spring up around the world... England, India, California, Oz, NZ... with good results. So the concept that seemed so great at first, then was laughed at, is now back. Let's hope they've got a better handle on erosion patterns, bathymetry, swell direction/size/period, wind patterns, currents, etc... as well as the structural engineering part of the reef construction itself this time around.

this discussion has me pondering the question, are there any half-decent surf spots left in delmarva other than assateague?