Images

Let's talk Indo boat trips

Anyone been, was it good?
    Have a good recommendation?
    How much $?
    How far in advance should you plan?
    What season?
    Where do you fly into?

Any info would be great. Looking at doing this next summer, maybe summer 2013.

Yea, I went two years ago. We went early in their season - like end of April, beginning of May when the winds and weather are a little more favorable. We flew from JFK to Kuala Lumpur via Stockholm. We had a three day layover in KL the way it worked out with the flights and boat schedule, but it's an awesome place to check out and very modern. Tons of girls too just watch out for the ladyboys. From there we took a short flight to Padang where we were met by someone from our charter. They took us right to the boat and out to sea.

We were on the Navistar. Carrick is all about finding places to surf without a ton of other people around. He rips too and will make sure you get plenty of waves. There's waves for just about everyone, just make sure you're pretty confident in your abilities before you travel around the world to surf.

http://www.livethelife.eu/mentawai-i...ter-boat-trip/

Here's a link to my blog, hope this helps:
    http://davebphoto.blogspot.com/search/label/indonesia

im heading there in september. we have 9 guys on the trip and the boat is called Nusantara, which we went through Wavehunters. great experience so far with Wavehunters setting up the trip, flight, etc.
    boat prices can really vary, but our boat is $2950 per person. Its jumped since we booked it to $3300. We put a deposit down on the trip about a year and a half in advance just so that we could get the boat and time slot we wanted. it seems like a lot of the trips were really starting to get booked about 6-9 monts in advance, so it pays to get on it early. the cost of our flights was around $1800. we fly out of jfk on singapore airlines. 21 hours later we land in singapore. then we hop on a 2 hr flight to Jakarta indonesia, then another small flight to our final destination in Padang. all transfers to and from the airport, 3 meals a day, snacks, drinks, and 5 beers a day are included in the price of the boat. the only other costs are travel insurance which was around $200. at the end of the day for the boat we are chartering, flights, and all the miscellaneous stuff you buy for a trip like this, we are probably around $5500 per person. the one nice thing is that the costs are spread out over a year and a half between deposits, insurance, flights, and final payment which allows you to save some money and makes the hit not so bad. any other questions, fire away

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Anyone been, was it good?
    Have a good recommendation?
    How much $?
    How far in advance should you plan?
    What season?
    Where do you fly into?

Any info would be great. Looking at doing this next summer, maybe summer 2013.
    Went in September 2007, it was sooo fun
    We went on the Bohemian, 47 foot motorized Catamaran (very stable boat with the big footprint), Cruised around Nias, and the Banyaks. Great Captain and Cook.
    Boat around $2000 for 12 days, Flights around $1300. Total for me was about $4000 w/insurance, parking at JFK ets. Sean at Waterways Travel was great.
    Planned it around 4-6 months in advance if I remember..we also considered the Maldives, and the Mentawais.
    Singapore Air (highly recommend) flew JFK>Frankfort>Mayalsia>Medan>Sibolga, Sumarta. Five flights - 30 hours - was a drain. Met the Bohemian in Sibolga, Sumatra.

Go for at least two week, but GO! Indonesia is a beautiful country with great waves, and its not all Desert Point barelling over dry reef.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jul 6, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Been to Bali and Lombok. Pretty epic, but you're better off on a boat to the Mentawais or Kandui Resort. Make sure a do a couple days in OZ too, the goldie is paradise. OZ kicks the **** out of CA. But the bottom line is to get the trip settled and go for it, you'll only be a year older if you don't do it now. The Balinese are by far the happiest people i've ever met but Asia is one dirty place my friend...

for all the guys that have already gone, how did you deal with the flight??? what do you do for 21 hrs to keep yourself occupied? and i definitely have problems sleeping on a plane and plan on getting some ambien CR to help out with that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    for all the guys that have already gone, how did you deal with the flight??? what do you do for 21 hrs to keep yourself occupied? and i definitely have problems sleeping on a plane and plan on getting some ambien CR to help out with that.
    Singapore Airlines has super pretty flight attendants carrying around trays of free beer every hour or so alternating with trays of hot moist towels (presumably for rubbing one out after the beer and eye candy get to you). I brought sleeping pills but never took any because staying awake was just too much fun!

Sweet, ill give the beer drinking and post beer drinking rub a try.... in your seat or in the bathroom? might get kinda wierd

we took malaysia airlines - boards flew for free to kuala lumpur. they have a ton of movies and music to listen to on the seat in front of you. the flight attendants are hot and treat you like a first class passenger. i usually stay up all night the night before, and surf a lot the day before so I'm super tired when I get on board. it does kinda mess with you depending on which way you travel because the sun goes up and down a few times before you even get there. it helps when they have the screen that tells you where you are and how much longer the flight will be.