LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdann View Post
    Try taking a longboard out on an overhead day. WAY better than a shortboard..although scary as hell at times when you get caught inside.
    About 15 years ago, right after I moved into the area where I now live, a big swell came... almost doh on the outside peaks and solid 8ft on the INSIDE... remarkably clean for the size, but it was first light, and nobody out. At the time, all I had was an 8'0 triple stringer mini log because I had recently broken my shortboard. It was either take out "Frankenstein" or don't surf. So I attempt to paddle out the first time and don't even make it out... I get pounded wave after wave, and end up drifting the entire length of the beach. I get out, walk back up the beach, and try it again. I finally make it out, and I'm sitting on the outside and I say to myself, "I do NOT belong out here on this board." A few minutes later a set comes and I go for it... barely make the drop, bottom turn and go straight down the line... flying... race it into the inside section and a huge, overhead bowl section starts to suck up ahead of me. I take the fastest trim line I can find, and pull in... I feel the board... a triple stringer... flexing under my feet as the curve of the barrel warps up and over me. Deep inside a spinning tube, foam chunks flying over my head... I exit smoothly, straighten out toward the beach, and go home. One and done.

That's a great story...good start to your day

you're an idiot. surfline is the only way.

Images
    yeah and the have super specific location forecasts... ... ...

I grew up in Southern California. Remember long before cellphones, computers and internet dialiing surf report daily. I don't remember the number I dialed. But I can still recall the recording I would hear every morning when ever I dialed in. "This is the Los Angeles County something w/ the early AM, etc. surf report. South bay beaches, air whatever it was, water temp whatever it was. THen surf conditions.....

only fools pay for semi-accurate surf forecasting w/ all the free info available now...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    logging (in the classic style) is definitely for the kool kats among us & nowhere near boring. boring is a matter of opinion. outside the mainstream, sure. personally, i find watching spastic flapping by the "shortboard only" to be boring & slightly painful. broaden your mind...there's a lot more to riding a traditionally shaped longboard than just standing around.

Thank you !!!!!!!!

I will say Surfline has it good point but , I will not pay for something when This site is free and WAAAAAAAYYYYY better.

There are diffent styles of surfing now a days. I am not into Airs myself it not that I dont think there cool its just they dont apeal to me . Different stroked for differnet folks

I also remeber the day when people use to check the surf by going to the beach to see what it is like LOL

"]I will say Surfline has it good point but , I will not pay for something when This site is free and WAAAAAAAYYYYY better. (Matt Johnson)

Both Surfline & Swellinfo miss their targets, repeatedly. Each also get their share of accurate hits. Surfline does not project clean 3-4 glass at 5 days out. Swellinfo does this, routinely, especially for the upcoming weekends. I do utilize both sites.
    Understanding the business model / motivation behind the owners of both sites goes a long way to 'getting it.'

2." i find watching spastic flapping by the "shortboard only" to be boring & slightly painful."
    Possible quote of the year candidate.
    "Spastic flapping."
    I'll never look at shortboarders in 2 foot slop the same way again.
    Tremendous.
    Last edited by yankee; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    "]I will say Surfline has it good point but , I will not pay for something when This site is free and WAAAAAAAYYYYY better. (Matt Johnson)

Both Surfline & Swellinfo miss their targets, repeatedly. Each also get their share of accurate hits. Surfline does not project clean 3-4 glass at 5 days out. Swellinfo does this, routinely, especially for the upcoming weekends. I do utilize both sites.
    Understanding the business model / motivation behind the owners of both sites goes a long way to 'getting it.'

2." i find watching spastic flapping by the "shortboard only" to be boring & slightly painful."
    "Spastic flapping."
    I'll never look at shortboarders in 2 foot slop the same way again.
    Tremendous.
    Hmmmm would u pay for something thats always wrong or use the free site that is just as good or better??? Seem like a easy answer. SL has little tid bits that I like that Swellinfo dont. For instance the travel section gives you tip on what work best at certian breaks and gives you a little info on the area which is helpful I think. Really who needs to pay for Forcasting?????

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    "Spastic flapping."
    Tremendous.
    thanks, yankee! i aim to please!

matt, i may not ride a log frequently, but i have long since made my peace w/ it & try to ride it as stylishly as possible. no "oversized shortboard" longboard for me...

also, i think that travel section matt's talking about is actually accessible for free...