LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Should I get Lost Rocket or CI POD???

wanna get a new board for small east coast waves..

Neither. Lost Rocket is not a good groveler, the Pod is a groveler but not much good for anything else. Better choices out there for you, does it have to be a Channel Islands or a Lost? IF so then there are better models availalble for east coast slop.

Images
    js black box, neckbeard, or the rocket

i just bought a Lost Motivator back in january. i love it. i was considering a Rocket but the guy at my local surf shop talked me into the motivator. you can ride it as a quad or thruster and its more of a true groveler then the rocket is. i could go into all of the specific differences but i cant think of them off the top of my head and you can just go onto lost's website and see. everyone may not agree with this however it has become my daily summer board and im extremely happy with it.

Images
    The Motivator sounds good.. Like the option of quad/thruster. but i kinda want something thats smaller than my main board but rips

my regular shortboard is a 6-2" my motivator is a 5-9" and i feel i still could have gone with the 5-6" and been fine. i think on their website it even says to go a few inches shorter then the rocket

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    Neither. Lost Rocket is not a good groveler, the Pod is a groveler but not much good for anything else. Better choices out there for you, does it have to be a Channel Islands or a Lost? IF so then there are better models availalble for east coast slop.
    You should get a board from an east coast company. I think they shape boards that are better suited for the east coast. Check out Matt Kechele surfboards or Cannibal surfboards, two great companys from the east coast.

Images
    I never really believed that an east coast shaper will shape a better board for our waves than a west coast shaper would. A fish is a fish and a groveler is a groveler. I have always ridden mostly west coast boards and they all work well. I agree that those basic designs might be able to be tweaked slightly to perform better for us but the difference to most people would be small. I personally can't notice what changes a different fin would bring to the table and I have been surfing a long time. There are people out the with the skill level to feel every nuance of a shape but for 95 % of us I don't believe we would. I know that a board shaped for Rincon would not work well in OC shorebreak but there are other places around with a longer more gradual wave that they would work well at. I say read up about how rail shapes, blank volume and tails perform and pick an outline that you like that has the performance characterisitcs that your after and it will work whether from a west coast shaper off the rack or a local board.

Zippy have you ever ridden a quad surfboard??? Ive been surfing a long time too and their is a diffrence between a Quad and a Tri surfboard. Go against the norm of west coast companies and tri surfboards and get an east coast quad surfboard.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by *McLovin* View Post
    Zippy have you ever ridden a quad surfboard??? Ive been surfing a long time too and their is a diffrence between a Quad and a Tri surfboard. Go against the norm of west coast companies and tri surfboards and get an east coast quad surfboard.
    i bought a used brian wynn quad on a whim the other day, right off the racks filled with CI, JS, JC, and other "west coast" shaped boards. comparing it with my Merrick smaller wave thruster, you can really feel the difference even in crap waves. the quad setup generates speed much more quickly, and you still get the good turning radius of a thruster