LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Images

is this really hurricane season

um so is anyone else digusted with the lack of hurricanes this season to produce amazing swell for the midatlantic region. noaa is still predicting above average activity for october, but nothing is in sight. beside a few scattered weeks this fall and summer, the only consistent surfing i can remember is back in the spring. what is up with our weathe!!???

Images
    Well, were up to "N" now (14 named storms), so the quantity is there, just not anything of any significance for swell production. And, in general, after the middle of October, the chance for tropical develpment declines signficantly (allthough late season storms have been popping up over the last few years).

Despite last weeks swell, its been a very lame start to the fall season compared to most Falls.

Images
    i think its also due to the shift in jet stream that has caused this somewhat of a dry spell. even if a storm did head this way i think it would lose power steadily due to lack of moisture.

Images

Wind Shear

Upper level wind shear has been a big issue this season. Also, scientists have predicted that global warming will bring increased wind shear across the middle Atlantic, which means less storms in the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darealm View Post
    Upper level wind shear has been a big issue this season. Also, scientists have predicted that global warming will bring increased wind shear across the middle Atlantic, which means less storms in the future.
    I've never heard of the correlation between global warming and less hurricanes... Do you have a link or reference to this? Much research indicates an increase in storms due to rise in Sea surface temps.

i just hope this winter is decent cause this fall is serioulsy a big let down

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I've never heard of the correlation between global warming and less hurricanes... Do you have a link or reference to this? Much research indicates an increase in storms due to rise in Sea surface temps.

Haha...totally agree with you, Micah!
    Dude...you wouldn't even be able to "feel" the effects of "global warming"..what it's like a 1 degree increase....jeez....it's so blown out of proportion (not to say let's ignore the whole issue) but,...let's just say i'd rather there be a "global warming" than say another ice age.

Micah, are doing any traveling this Fall/Winter?
    I'm heading out to SoCal in Nov for the USBA (IB or Rosarita), but may possibly go to HI instead for the first week of November and then make it in time for the USBA Rosarita event (Nov 9-11).

Hope to trade waves with you again in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by rustysrfr View Post
    ..............the only consistent surfing i can remember is back in the spring.....
    God what I would do to have Springtime back.............Springtime this year was the best I can ever remember while summer is the worst I can ever remember. (i know summer sucks, maybe the right term would be hurricane season). At any rate, springtime kicked ass and hopefully fall will also. We all know that winter will produce so forget the past live for the future!!