LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

is this really hurricane season

um so is anyone else digusted with the lack of hurricanes this season to produce amazing swell for the midatlantic region. noaa is still predicting above average activity for october, but nothing is in sight. beside a few scattered weeks this fall and summer, the only consistent surfing i can remember is back in the spring. what is up with our weathe!!???

Images
    Well, were up to "N" now (14 named storms), so the quantity is there, just not anything of any significance for swell production. And, in general, after the middle of October, the chance for tropical develpment declines signficantly (allthough late season storms have been popping up over the last few years).

Despite last weeks swell, its been a very lame start to the fall season compared to most Falls.

Images
    i think its also due to the shift in jet stream that has caused this somewhat of a dry spell. even if a storm did head this way i think it would lose power steadily due to lack of moisture.

Images

Wind Shear

Upper level wind shear has been a big issue this season. Also, scientists have predicted that global warming will bring increased wind shear across the middle Atlantic, which means less storms in the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darealm View Post
    Upper level wind shear has been a big issue this season. Also, scientists have predicted that global warming will bring increased wind shear across the middle Atlantic, which means less storms in the future.
    I've never heard of the correlation between global warming and less hurricanes... Do you have a link or reference to this? Much research indicates an increase in storms due to rise in Sea surface temps.

i just hope this winter is decent cause this fall is serioulsy a big let down

Images

Wind Shear

Here is a link to the NOAA article describing the increased wind shear attributed to global warming.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2840.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rustysrfr View Post
    ..............the only consistent surfing i can remember is back in the spring.....
    God what I would do to have Springtime back.............Springtime this year was the best I can ever remember while summer is the worst I can ever remember. (i know summer sucks, maybe the right term would be hurricane season). At any rate, springtime kicked ass and hopefully fall will also. We all know that winter will produce so forget the past live for the future!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darealm View Post
    Here is a link to the NOAA article describing the increased wind shear attributed to global warming.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2840.htm
    Thanks for the article... Thats the first I heard the link of global warming to increased wind shear, and that is definitely a significant factor...

The other thing to take into note when talking about climate change and the link between weather phenomenon, is that we need to think about it on a longer time scale than just one single hurricane season. The last few years have been well above average in quantity and intensity, so just because there haven't been many storms that take that track from the eastern tropics towards the east coast this particular year doesn't indicate much. If we saw this pattern continue for the next decade, then that is obviously much more significant of a pattern.

Images

Give me a break!!

1st the scientists claimed global warming would cause more storms and that they would become stronger, now they claim that global warming is reducing the storms this year. How many times have we heard claims of hyper active huricane years only to experience little or no activity. If anyone thinks for a moment that these "Experts" have a real clue as to the causes and effects of our ever changing environment you are delusional. We live on a very dynamic planet, 400 million years ago the entire surface of the planet was covered in a 1 mile thick layer of ice at other times it has been at a boil. We humans have been here for not even a blink of the eye in terms of geological time. A billion years from now, we won't even be a memory. ENOUGH ALREADY ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING BEING THE CAUSE OF EVERY PERCEIVED PROBLEM THAT CERTAIN POLITICAL GROUPS CAN DREAM UP TO SUPPORT THEIR AGENDAS.

Face it, it's just been a ****ty fall for surfing around here.