LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jml7140 View Post
    I've never head of resin-X. Anyone know if Ashton uses it? Anyone ever had a custom from him? What's turnaround time like?
    Last week I was lucky enough to find a Wynn resin-x just the shape I was looking for, on a used board rack for a pretty good price. A little more expensive than the polys but it's definitely lighter, a bit more buoyant, and still feels a lot like a poly. It was a little shorter and thinner than I would have liked, but I think the resin-x made up for it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    Last week I was lucky enough to find a Wynn resin-x just the shape I was looking for, on a used board rack for a pretty good price. A little more expensive than the polys but it's definitely lighter, a bit more buoyant, and still feels a lot like a poly. It was a little shorter and thinner than I would have liked, but I think the resin-x made up for it.
    Resin-X is expensive. It costs me in bulk almost twice as much as epoxy which is already almost twice as much as PE. It's more labor intensive and harder to work with. Most people aren't willing to pay the added cost associated with it. However, I use it on all of my personal boards because I can definitely feel a noticeable improvement over epoxy. Resin-X has a high flexural modulus than epoxy and PE, which basically means it will flex more but maintain it's strength through the flex. In surfing terms, it will load up with energy and flex more going into a turn, and return that energy quicker and stronger as it releases and pops out of the turn. The other aspect I prefer about Resin-X is that it has a water friendly characteristic. It tends to have a vibrational dampening effect that smooths out chop in the water. The downsides are the cost and it tends to pressure dent under your feet a bit more than epoxy. It can be problematic when used with PU foam, but when used with EPS I feel it's far superior than PU/PE or EPS/Epoxy for the above average surfer.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,101
    OP, I verified last night the Ashton is now doing Vac-tech epoxies.

  4. #24
    +1 on rDJ's perspective. When Resin-x came on the market I wasn't sure about it, but after grabbing one of Wynn's I nearly flipped out. The flex characteristics is what I noticed right off the bat...as well as the durability. It does pressure don't like nothing else I've used/rode...however, well worth the cost. All of my custom Wynn's have been Resin-x...something like 5-6 or in the last number of years...

    Kindly, Brian from Greenlight let me use some for one of my own shapes a few years ago and it is definitely a task to work with...precise mixing ratios (cutting a bit with xylene can totally screw you up), sanding issue (better be fully cured or get ready for the sludge build up), and at the time I was used the fast cure...thing shot off so fast a I even had a few dry laps...doesn't usually happen to me...but yea...board was solid and absolutely loved it.

    JML--sorry to highjack...hope you find someone that can meet all your needs from shape, glassing, etc. If you're a standard poly guy and not looking for a tech change...I'm sure most of the guys above fit the bill...good luck...otherwise, rDJ, Wynn, etc. can definitely meet your needs...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,371
    Images
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by jml7140 View Post
    I've never head of resin-X. Anyone know if Ashton uses it? Anyone ever had a custom from him? What's turnaround time like?
    I've had several custom boards from Jon Ashton over the last 15 years. All have been good rides. I have seen him at the beach quite a bit lately and checked out some of the EPS/Epoxy boards hes been making, some vacuum bagged. They seem really strong and light. If you live in Maryland and want the shape made locally he's your guy.

    I also have a Hague board, which I have had for about 5 years now and love it. Mike is in Lewes, DE.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jul 14, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Resin-X is expensive. It costs me in bulk almost twice as much as epoxy which is already almost twice as much as PE. It's more labor intensive and harder to work with. Most people aren't willing to pay the added cost associated with it. However, I use it on all of my personal boards because I can definitely feel a noticeable improvement over epoxy. Resin-X has a high flexural modulus than epoxy and PE, which basically means it will flex more but maintain it's strength through the flex. In surfing terms, it will load up with energy and flex more going into a turn, and return that energy quicker and stronger as it releases and pops out of the turn. The other aspect I prefer about Resin-X is that it has a water friendly characteristic. It tends to have a vibrational dampening effect that smooths out chop in the water. The downsides are the cost and it tends to pressure dent under your feet a bit more than epoxy. It can be problematic when used with PU foam, but when used with EPS I feel it's far superior than PU/PE or EPS/Epoxy for the above average surfer.
    Yeah I definitely noticed that it pressure dents a lot easier. When I was first looked at the board I was kinda freaked out how badly it had been dented, but I don't think it was so bad it affect performance or anything. And with wax on it you don't really notice.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    Yeah I definitely noticed that it pressure dents a lot easier. When I was first looked at the board I was kinda freaked out how badly it had been dented, but I don't think it was so bad it affect performance or anything. And with wax on it you don't really notice.
    It seems to pressure dent under your feet more than a PU/PE glass job, but no worse than PU/PE from random impacts. There are certain glassing schedules that can be used to reduce the pressure denting while maintaining the light weight. My team riders seem to like the pressure denting under their feet. Seems to help them feel where they need to be on the board.

  8. #28
    greenlight and brian wynn FTMFW - great guys who give back to the community, all my boards are from wynn as will my future boards. great guy and the best shapes ive ever ridden. Tell him what you are looking for and let him work his magic