LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    just throwing this out there, but i believe that brian wynn has/is moving away from working w/ resin-x. too expensive for what he says has been little to no benefit over straight poly or eps.

live4truth, i love your Greg Loehr quote...he's a legend.

I just got a new Tommy moore done in EPS/Epoxy. ITs got alot of foam for a 5'-6" as its my groveler and the thing is super light and rides just as responsive as any of my Poly boards. Honestly i really think it comes down to the EPS blank quality, and the glassing schedules and what not on Epoxies.
    I am curious what shape from Channel Islands do you want to copy?

Thanks for all the input guys. To answer some of the questions, I'm interested in epoxy because I'm a larger guy relative to my height and I'm trying to go as short as possible without having to get beyond 2 3/4" or so of thickness.

As far as board model goes, I went to the demo to try the Fred Rubble and the Motorboat but ended up liking the Neck Beard. I prefer a little width in my boards these days and the Neck Beard was just about right.

I'm 5"9" and 200lbs and I tried both the 5'10 and 6'0 - the 6'0 was just about right. I think that if I adjust the stock dimensions about 1/4" in both the width and thickness and go with epoxy I can go 5'11 or 6'0 no problem.

I do prefer traditional boards, I find epoxy to be too light sometimes, but in this case the benefit of being able to go a little shorter outweighs the weight issue.

I've never head of resin-X. Anyone know if Ashton uses it? Anyone ever had a custom from him? What's turnaround time like?

I've had close to 100 poly customs from him so I can't speak to the resin-X. Turnaround times vary depending on how many people are in front of you in line. typically late fall and winter are quicker than summer. Best thing to do is contact him and talk. He did a number of shape copies for me and they all turned out much better than the originals.

Good to see you're going with a local shaper and not a CI or Lost like all the brainwashed sheep.
    Plenty of good board builders around here for your to choose from. I know both rDJ and Mahady can do super nice color / artwork on the boards they shape for you if you're looking for a unique custom.
    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

Why don't you just get a Neckbeard if thats what you liked? Just get it a little thicker, the neckbeard is designed by professional shapers and test by professional riders, why go with a local shaper that hasn't ridden the neckbeard nor probably knows how its supposed to be designed. If you like a board just buy it.

I'm big,so I started getting boards with a raised deck,so rails are kept very thinned out and can go much shorter.Go to the website blog for the video at In The Eye Surfboards-Cape Hatteras,Natural Art Surf Shop.Scott Busbey is a great shaper who also does great EPS boards.his glasser Curtis came up with the raised-deck idea.all the info you could need is on the website.give Scott a call

Lots of reasons. Turnaround time is slow, price is too high and quality is average. When I started surfing I purchased a board off the rack and it didn't last (and I take care of my boards). Then I was getting my boards from a guy in Hatteras when I lived down there and the quality was much better and they were better suited to the surf there (he doesn't work with epoxy or I wouldn't have started this post). If I lived on the west coast, were more of an average build and had a lot of money to spend, I'd go with the CI.

Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Why don't you just get a Neckbeard if thats what you liked? Just get it a little thicker, the neckbeard is designed by professional shapers and test by professional riders, why go with a local shaper that hasn't ridden the neckbeard nor probably knows how its supposed to be designed. If you like a board just buy it.

I'll have to check it out. Your description makes me think of the Firewire Sweet Potato which looks strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    I'm big,so I started getting boards with a raised deck,so rails are kept very thinned out and can go much shorter.Go to the website blog for the video at In The Eye Surfboards-Cape Hatteras,Natural Art Surf Shop.Scott Busbey is a great shaper who also does great EPS boards.his glasser Curtis came up with the raised-deck idea.all the info you could need is on the website.give Scott a call

http://www.timnoltesurfboards.com/

All of the shaper listed so far are really good. I can say Tim Noltes epoxy boards ride and feel closer to a poly board than any other epoxy I've owned or tried. They are also very durable.

http://www.timnoltesurfboards.com/