LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Police on The Beach

Here it comes. The nazi's have been unleashed! a group of about 10 of us got kicked out of the water last night. We were surfing a small PUBLIC break that sits next to a private beach club. Someone called the police (Adolf Hitler would be proud of them) and our sesh was ended. Now that the local rich people control beach access, oops, I mean the local towns the cops are starting to come out. There was no discussing this with the officers either. Both of the responding 5-0's were very nasty and unhappy, and threatened us with fines. I work with a few police officers and they have all told me that when you come across a cop like this do not even try to argue, you'll end up in cuffs for disorderly conduct with little chance of getting out of it.

So ARM YOURSELVES! With video cameras! Why, because a short video of an out of line police officer is worth a billion words! And they hate it and videos kick but in court. I wish I had a GoPro camera on me last night I'd have some good "Bad cop no donut" video.

Oh, this group of surfers, age range between 28 and 55, just everyday people trying to relax and enjoy some small summer surf, many of them grew up surfing this break and now it may be lost because the as "Well to do towns" as the news reports it, think they are better than us.I have some news for you Mr. Richy Rich, I served four years in the military to protect MY freedom to surf, and the freedom this country gives you and I WILL NOT go down with out a fight, and I will NEVER SURRENDER, unlike you I have a spine, unlike you I am a human being.
    Last edited by ginsumagic; Jul 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

That sucks after 4 years with your boots on the ground. Did you ask or did the cops explain what ordinances they were enforcing to throw you off the break? or was it a curiosity call to the private club?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    That sucks after 4 years with your boots on the ground. Did you ask or did the cops explain what ordinances they were enforcing to throw you off the break? or was it a curiosity call to the private club?
    No, they we're being way too aggressive, they were just the messengers and I'm not getting busted because some cop doesn't have the brain power to deal with people in a civil way. I have too much to risk, my job profession requires constant back ground checks and finger printing, Barney Fife is just not worth risking my job.

Images
    if your not using the beach and below the tide line meaning just surfing a leaving after your done they cant do anything to you . If they could then the state police would have to sit out there and give tickets to every jetski , and boat that goes by in the water in front of a private beach . Call you local congress man and Surfrider.

That clears it up, A NIC # will kill a Whiskey Yankee clearance ....................

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    if your not using the beach and below the tide line meaning just surfing a leaving after your done they cant do anything to you . If they could then the state police would have to sit out there and give tickets to every jetski , and boat that goes by in the water in front of a private beach . Call you local congress man and Surfrider.
    Matt,
    I have heard this before over the years and it seems like a real gray area to me. Isnt this very similar to the designated surf beaches that we have down here in South Jersey, where we can only surf certain streets and how dare we try and surf somewhere else during the hours of 9 and 5 or whatever time the guards are on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    Matt,
    I have heard this before over the years and it seems like a real gray area to me. Isnt this very similar to the designated surf beaches that we have down here in South Jersey, where we can only surf certain streets and how dare we try and surf somewhere else during the hours of 9 and 5 or whatever time the guards are on.
    Designated surfing beaches are made in the summer when guards are on the stands to make it as Safe for surfers and swimmer as they possibly can . It they were surfing in the water in front of a private beach during off hours there really should be no issue. Now if it was in teh middle of the day and he was surfing in the same area of the swimmers then I can see why the cops were called. What if they you got in the water in a non private area of beach and paddled over to the private beach? I didnt have to use the private beach to get to the water

ginsumagic,

That makes me sick. I too have alot to risk with any kind of retaliation. Props for not pushing back because you are right in everyway. And thank you for your sacrifices in defense of my freedoms. I appreciate it more than you will ever know. If the proverbial s**t ever hits the fan, and you need anykind of help, let me know. I'd be grateful to help in any way possible.

Call your congressperson and contact your local elected officials. Consider contacting your local newspapers and let them know whats going on. Private beach is irrelevant. Federal law mandates that the beach is accessible to everyone, as already stated in this thread.
    If it happens again, get the officers names and report them as well.
    The only reason I can think of that you were told to leave is on some beaches, its illegal to be on the beach after sunset or after certain hours. State parks here in Delaware have some beaches that close at sunset. Rehoboth Beach has a midnight curfew. These are rarely enforced. They usually charge them with this after the fact. Such as drinking on the beach, etc. this gets added.
    Don't let it go by without telling everyone you can about it. Otherwise, it will keep happening.

Images
    yeah private or not, no one "owns" the ocean. as long as you werent on the private club's property or on the beach past whatever curfews your town has, you didn't do anything wrong. i would recommend going back there with a camera and busting those cops if they give you ****