LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: Who are you planning on voting for in the 2012 presidential election?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

25 36.76%
  • Mitt Romney

5 7.35%
  • Ron Paul

26 38.24%
  • Michele Bachmann

1 1.47%
  • Herman Cain

4 5.88%
  • Newt Gingrich

1 1.47%
  • Tim Pawlenty

2 2.94%
  • Rudi Giulliani

1 1.47%
  • Rick Perry

0 0%
  • Sarah Palin

3 4.41%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    screwed me over after 16 successful years of teaching in the same district,yeah,it's all my fault new jersey sucks.that's what he's done.
    First off, I don't think Christie should run for or be president. Second, I think he's doing a great job in NJ. How did he screw you over? My understanding is that he offered the NJEA a deal where you would have to pay a bit more for your benefits or he'd have to let teachers go and the union chose the latter. My mother is a retire teacher from NJ and she left the NEA years before she retired because she saw how screwed up they were.

right,us teachers are terrible,rich and are solely to blame for all of new jersey's problems.teachers jobs are not being saved,pensions are being screwed over,and it's a lot,not a little we're having to contribute to pension and health care,since we have it so easy and make such exorbitant salaries.why would a gifted talent want to teach in nj,and how does taking away what little they have give anyone the incentive to,and so how does this improve our education system?i think illegal alien mexicans should teach your children in the nj public schools

Images
    right,us teachers are terrible,rich and are solely to blame for all of new jersey's problems.teachers jobs are not being saved,pensions are being screwed over,and it's a lot,not a little we're having to contribute to pension and health care,since we have it so easy and make such exorbitant salaries.why would a gifted talent want to teach in nj,and how does taking away what little they have give anyone the incentive to,and so how does this improve our education system?i think illegal alien mexicans should teach your children in the nj public schools
    I'm surprised they're not already!

You answered your own question...INCENTIVE. Pay teachers based on merit and provide bonuses to performers. get rid of under performers and tenure. nothing like extra money combined with competition to motivate people.
    Last edited by aka pumpmaster; Jul 20, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

5. Regardless of your political affiliation, make sure to Stay Above the Weather!!

Images
    Wow, what a fun thread....Is it August yet?? But seriously this thread shows exactly why mindful discussion can degenerate into name-calling. I believe most people lie somewhere in the middle of the political spectrum, but its the fringes on both sides that fan the flames of hate. Class warfare, us vs. them, rich vs. poor, etc. And even though they are in the minority as far as numbers, they get all the attention. And the media is guilty of giving these candidates exposure over say middle of the road types. Additionally, the media likes to exaggerate the differences between John Doe from NY and John Doe from Texas. They like to make us appear further apart then we really are. It's just like the Weather Channel coverage of a blizzard, 90% hype and 10% substance. Its just the ones screaming that the media pays attention to. And its a shame really because in the mind of the media it's like the 80% in the middle don't exist. And this becomes perception of people who only receive their news from say cable news sources.

Quote Originally Posted by whosthat View Post
    I know one thing for sure, NJ isn't even a swing state. NJ was always red on the poltitical map, and always will be. Watch the political forecasting maps months before we even vote. I bet you all can guess what color NJ will be.
    Really? I think NJ is a pretty blue state for the most part. I mean the northern counties of Bergen, Sussex, and Warren are usually red, and the southern Cumberland, Cape May, and Salem are red, but always red? I don't think so. I mean just cuz we elect a R governor sometimes, doesn't make us red. We can be a swing state when Burlington, Ocean, and Monmouth go red, but for the most part with our proximity to New York and Philadelphia, we're typically blue. My guess is we'll be blue for 2012 just like, 2008, just like 2004, just like 2000, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    You answered your own question...INCENTIVE. Pay teachers based on merit and provide bonuses to performers. get rid of under performers and tenure. nothing like extra money combined with competition to motivate people.
    Pay for Performance aka Merit Pay can be a mixed bag. The law of unintended consequences comes into play. It is extremely difficult to establish and measure outcomes (more difficult than measuring and evaluating outputs). Not sure where the extra money comes from when the money is being cut. Despite all the lip service on merit pay it is one of the first things to go when budgets are tight or reduced.

Come to think of it, one of the things that really motivated merit pay in the housing industry was selling as many mortgages as possible regardless of the qualifications of the borrower to carry the mortgage. There was merit pay (aka commissions) for every loan made, not every loan default.

On the other hand, since the topic is teachers and schooling, the Tea Party platform is to eliminate public schools, privatize public education and repeal the requirement for mandatory schooling. Public education is not considered to be a "common good."

Images
    My wife is a teacher. I agree with incentive pay because she's the bomb! Instead she gets the same pay as teacher X, Y & Z who may not be the bomb....like her!!

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    My wife is a teacher. I agree with incentive pay because she's the bomb! Instead she gets the same pay as teacher X, Y & Z who may not be the bomb....like her!!
    Agreed Lost. The bad teachers (which we all know are plenty) go which makes room for younger teachers who start with less pay but get a chance to prove themselves. Rod, look at what Indiana just did with their budget. They cut spending but still gave out bonuses to their top producing state workers. Also, as a Randian Objectivist, I reject the concept of a common good

Agreed Lost. The bad teachers (which we all know are plenty) go which makes room for younger teachers who start with less pay but get a chance to prove themselves. Rod, look at what Indiana just did with their budget. They cut spending but still gave out bonuses to their top producing state workers. Also, as a Randian Objectivist, I reject the concept of a common good
    Merit Pay in many settings sounds like a great concept. A utopian concept. Capitalist idealism. In practice it can create as much bad as good. Widely applied it simply isn't the answer.

P.S. As a self-proclaimed Randian Objectivist and in rejecting the concelpt of the common good, then you reject the overall precept of the U.S. Constitution, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."