LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would value someone with the balls and hustle who uprooted himself went to a foreign country and lived by his wits for a while then someone who rode out a bad economy by toiling in some crap low-level position or worse, hiding in law/business school, and I know plenty of heavy hitters in the marketing field who feel the exact same way. PM me when you get back, I own a marketing firm - we are a block from the beach

Images
    I respectfully disagree with those who say they would give you credit for traveling. Although it does take courage to do something like that. If it came down to it, and you were interviewing next to someone who has been doing the grunt work (waitering or something) I would hire that person over someone who just took a 6 month vacation.

That's just my opinion. I do think you should take advantage of this opportunity but definitely consider what you are going to say when your potential employer says "where did you work for the first year out of school?"

After I graduated in 98, I save money and backpacked Europe for 9 month, ended up getting a temp job in London at the Financials times, which I was able to put on my resume, and fund my trip longer than I had planned. Do it. I am 35 now and have a fine marketing job. Everyone I talk to my age who never traveled says it's the one thing they regret. I got lucky witht he FT as well, it was a boring ass job with no real skills learned, but I got paid cash under the table and it sits on my resume. You can put travel on your resume even if you don't get a job. Anyone you would want to work for will admire you for getting up and seeing the world at the one time in your life you can. Go for it and send reports back. Also while traveling you'll meet the best people around. I still keep in touch with people I met while traveling.

its about safety/stability vs. proactiveness/risk-tolerance. If you want to work for the gov't or for a giant corporation, then yes that may look bad but if you want to work in marketing or for a company in a dynamic industry they look for those with a different approach

Thanks for all of the responses. Very knowledgable and gets me motivated, but does anyone know specifically like places to look to rent cheap? I would camp out for a little anything to make my money last. Once I get a decent deal on a place to rent cheap I'm out of here. Any suggestions.

Thanks Guys!

I took the Summer of 2004 off from working. I went to the Outer Banks and lived off my tax return (would've been nice to go somewhere cooler like P.R but the waves were really good that Summer so it was worth it). Point being, now I'm an IT Consultant and I have had to answer why I was unemployed for that period of time. I just told, employers, background investigators, etc., that I was surfing and lived off my tax return. Nobody has ever had a problem with that answer.

7. Do not camp out! Your stuff will be robbed when you are surfing cutting your trip VERY short. Maybe you could stay in the hostel in Rincon for a week or two until you bumped into someone with a spare room or similiar circumstance and could find a cheap apartment together. If you do stay in a hostel make sure your passport/ids and cash are all locked up in a safe. Those are my only concerns when travelling. That and having the right stick for the wave height! Again good luck!

i moved to puerto rico in april. trooper cost 2000, house is beachfront 3 bedroom in isabela and thats costing me a grand a month, but i think im down grading to a apartment at jobos. if ur really thinking about moving here try some of the smaller towns around this area. rent varies greatly and if ur looking for a website go to classificados.online.com that or craigslist. milk and bread are also jacked up milk is like 6 bux so u can guess about everything else. and if u smoke weed... god. i have had the best time of my life and i dont know if im ever going to leave i mite be a bum for life. as far as cash goes, if u dont have a way to bring it in when u get here i would plan on doing alot of sacrifice when u get here cuz its hard as **** to get a job though ive heard about them being available at the airport. and most importantly do alot of research into your home of choice cuz im gettin ripped, people here are really proud of what they have and you will learn to be as well. but unfortunately they like to raise the price and claim something they dont have. like my beachfront house... i can see all the way to jobos and all the way to quebradillas but it takes 30 minutes to walk to the beach. and it was advertise as walking distance. i could talk to you all day about the lessons learned when i moved but i aint cuz sun is comin up and theres surf so hit me up if you got questions or maybe need a cheap or maybe free place to stay when u come down, all depends on how much food u bring

Images
    just remember the first few months of summer are usually dead flat for most of PR