LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could we please spread out a little!?

Sorry in advance for this rant but I need to make a general PSA: I never complain about the crowds because they are usually minimal around here and I usually find a sandbar all to myself anyways, but today was the first day in a month that there was swell and clean conditions so you know what happened. Everyone who has a board no matter their skill level paddled out to take advantage of it. This is great and I'm all about having a great time in the water and I'm usually stoked to see other people catching waves, but jeez just because I paddle out by myself to a half decent bar it doesn't mean you have to come out and sit 10 ft from me and catch the wave I'm riding when there are obviously many more waves 100 yrds to the left or right of me. That's the whole reason I drove up and down the beach to find this spot - so I didn't have to jockey for my waves. So if this describes you or the 8 other people that paddled right out to me in the hour or so I was there, PLEASE SPREAD OUT A LITTLE BIT NEXT TIME - Thank you

Oh and where were you the past two days when it was 2 ft larger and semi-choppy???

You're preachin' to the choir, kid...

sea lice and jellyfish bloom at my spot kept the crowds down. It was clean and glassy, w/ some chest high sets, muy exelente, hehehe

surfing crowd has gotten bad, but the tourists on my beach have been worse than ive ever seen. i can out paddle the majority of surfers that get too close, but a group of banana hammock canadians standing on the sandbar are much worse

People were parked on top of each other once the lifeguards came on. I was patient, made sure that I was up, started paddling for a wave when the guy who was literally arms length away started paddling too. I'm thinking WTF. I didn't know but a few people in the water (and this is my home break I surf 12 mos of the year). At this point I was that pissed I didn't care if I ran him over. I went left and he straight (I mean straight to the beach). We paddled back out and I asked him what that was all about. Obviously he had no clue what I was talking about. He had no idea if it was a right or left and assumed I will automatically go left if he's next to me. My mistake - I should have left when when the tourist / hollister surf team came out to play.

Dude, nobody on the east coast can complain about crowds. I know it does suck when your limited to about 2 jetties per town MDW and LDW, but take a trip out to california. It's absolutely bonkers out here. There are so many kooks, and equal amount of guys that rip. Take a look at the pacific beach cam for southern california (South san diego) on surfline at any given time during the day and you will see 300+ People out. I have forbid myself to ever go there again... or mission beach. NOt to mention the traffic - that sh!t is equally f*c*ed

I think I'm planning a trip back to NJ at the end of Sept. Hopefully get a little hurricane surf action. Hope you guys are making the most of it over there. I heard it hasn't been too great

I'm going to try to play psychologist here for a minute.

If you were the 1st one in the water then many newbies and kooks came to your spot its probably one of the following reasons:

1) They were scarred to go out first in the water assuming more experienced surfers would ridicule them on their choice of break.

2) They are afraid to be embarrassed by others on the beach watching them in isolation surf like a fool/idiot.

3) They thought they could "blend in" better staying near you.

4) With their lack of experience, they were "using" your experience on wave selection...when they saw you paddle, then they paddled for same "good wave choice". They have no clue about surf ettiquette/rudeness, priority, snaking, dropping in etc.

In the end...I'm guessing they feel they have better chance to surf better near someone more experienced, and also to feel more "like part of a surfer clique" if they surf around others or with someone experienced then floundering around like a fool by themselves exposed. That is my theory on the subject.

My advice...play the teacher out there. Teach those that are clearly clueless out there, just do so without embarrassing them in front of others or making them feel unwanted. Explain to them how dangerous it is to both go for same waves. Most all of them really have no clue. Assume people are good people (just clueless). If people get mean, rude in response to your attempts to educate...then however you wish to handle it through is up to you!
    Last edited by RobfromFredneck; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add wording

But the surfing beach is always the best spot!

9. It's summer. The waves are weak and gutless at best. Let the hobbyists have their fun in surf that doesn't put them or anyone else in danger, even if that means near people with experience. Size and power are natural kook filters, when the waves get good I'm sure you'll get yours. In the meantime, don't let the crowds get you down and Stay Above the Weather!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    It's summer. The waves are weak and gutless at best. Let the hobbyists have their fun in surf that doesn't put them or anyone else in danger, even if that means near people with experience. Size and power are natural kook filters, when the waves get good I'm sure you'll get yours. In the meantime, don't let the crowds get you down and Stay Above the Weather!!
    dude wtf is "stay above the weather" its creeping me out