LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sadness

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    at a diagonal to it, i believe.
    Ah......thank you.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    There's a tick on this forum that's giving me a rash and has me feeling decidedly under the weather.[/QUOTE
    ]

Didn't know you're a Poet, nice jingle .................

anyone can get free marine forecast info outside of any vehicle supported by the surf industry, the best surf videos are the amateur stuff, most surf shops sell watches, shades, caps, jewelry and clothes with boards andgear being an afterthought, factory shaped boards are almost always inferior and yet more costly than locally shaped ones, the most hardcore skilled surfers I know don't dress in clothes you can get at a surf shop, anyone can (and should) learn how to do their own ding repair and even wetsuits/rubber is market-driven by the far far larger diving, sailing, wakeboarding, jet ski segments, etc...if the entire surfing industry disappeared overnight I mean I wouldn't be happy or anything but wouldn't personally impact me either.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    anyone can get free marine forecast info outside of any vehicle supported by the surf industry, the best surf videos are the amateur stuff, most surf shops sell watches, shades, caps, jewelry and clothes with boards andgear being an afterthought, factory shaped boards are almost always inferior and yet more costly than locally shaped ones, the most hardcore skilled surfers I know don't dress in clothes you can get at a surf shop, anyone can (and should) learn how to do their own ding repair and even wetsuits/rubber is market-driven by the far far larger diving, sailing, wakeboarding, jet ski segments, etc...if the entire surfing industry disappeared overnight I mean I wouldn't be happy or anything but wouldn't personally impact me either.
    Well-spoken sir.

"Easy access to surf forecasting doth not a complete waterman make." -Shakespeare(?)

Just looking at a wave height graph on this table, while convenient, does not teach anything about surfing. Every committed surfer I know has spent years looking at wind, swell, and tide models on the NOAA sites, spot-checking, and even the occasional Oceanography textbook. The entire experience is far more gratifying if you understand WHY surf happens. I would encourage anyone to do this because it "ties the whole thing together". Sure, you can not do this and catch plenty of good days, but why not take the opportunity to actually learn something and understand the world around you? We have developed this culture of ignorance in the US, where it's considered a waste of time to educate oneself.