LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

i am sick of watching airs

there. i said it. i am honestly sick of watching surfers to air after air after air in every single fuggin' clip that finds its way across my computer screen.
    i just re-watched the clip from rusty's blog, entitled "the single life", of josh kerr, et. al. riding hp single fin shortboards & it seemed like the entire thing was them pumping down the line for speed & the blasting an air. when they tried to turn, the boards just stayed flat & slid. lame. what's so wrong/difficult about putting the damn thing on rail?!? at this point, i honestly think i'd rather watch 5min. of taylor knox or sunny garcia over any of the younger guys.

rant over.

Images
    Finally someone other than me admits to being sick of all this crap. I can understand when the wave is nothing but a closeout but damn can you get that board on rail and do a smooth roundhouse once in a while. That's why I love wathcing someone who knows what they are doing ride a fish or another alternative shape. So refreshing to see some style.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Finally someone other than me admits to being sick of all this crap. I can understand when the wave is nothing but a closeout but damn can you get that board on rail and do a smooth roundhouse once in a while. That's why I love wathcing someone who knows what they are doing ride a fish or another alternative shape. So refreshing to see some style.
    Cookie cutter surfers nowadays

Images
    It's funny, I catch myself surfing like that from time to time. Racing over perfectly good sections where a nice silky turn is justified just to build speed. Then I find mself way out in front without the skill or inclination to blast an air. That's usually where a compressed turn on rail puts me back towards the pocket with a bounce off the whitewater and back where I should have been the whole time, lol. If I can get caught up in the cookie cutter style after all these years in the water I can't imagine how hard it would be for a kid today to develope his own style with so much imagery available.

Images
    I don't know if it's just me, but I find vimeo to have better quality surf vids than youtube or any other website. Not all are good of course, but some are very interesting.

Images
    im assuming this post was inspired by the latest Surfing issue?
    i completely agree though, i'd much rather watch raw power surfing or someone with more style. those guys lack any real style or flow, because every single wave is wasted on pumping through sections, then hucking a sloppy punt about 1 foot off the face

Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    im assuming this post was inspired by the latest Surfing issue?
    i completely agree though, i'd much rather watch raw power surfing or someone with more style. those guys lack any real style or flow, because every single wave is wasted on pumping through sections, then hucking a sloppy punt about 1 foot off the face
    +1 ... tell it like it is

until recently these upside-down 360 air flip moves were not possible.
    they deserve credit for doing things no one ever did before.
    but why would they want to?
    now that people are doing it,and i haven't seen the new surfing issue,i can say that it is not really surfing.
    it's athletic people doing tricks that have nothing to do with riding waves.
    amazing gymnastics.
    perfect walls,beautiful sections going to waste while some guy is flying around showing off.
    i also find the turns lame.
    high-speed 'hacks' that slap the wave.
    MP at Kirra,Rabbit at Burleigh Heads,MR on a twin fin,Wayne Lynch in Western Australia,Shaun Tomson at Off The Wall,BK at Sunset,Lopez at Pipeline,Tom Curren at Rincon,Lance Carson at Malibu,everyone knows what they're looking at.You can't surf better than that.off the lips,cutbacks,tube rides.surfing riding waves.not flying around in the air above a perfect,beautiful wave.

Buttons,Bertlemann,Dora,style,ripping,flowing...wh o will be remembered like these images for a 'sick rodeo 360 slob'?
    all i have to do is say the name from over 20,30,40 or more years ago and you see the picture of a surfer riding a wave,and it is a thing of beauty

Airs, 360s, super close up pics with mostly stickers... been sick of it for a long, long time! Mind numbing.