LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Local shapper???

I'm ready for a new board. I've heard that Local Shappers can get you a better price then buying some of the name brands (CI, Lost, firewire, ect.). But I don't know where to find one lol. I live in New Jersey and ussually surf LBI, or Seaside Heights. Does anyone know of anyone in the area who does quality work? about how much do you think it would cost me?

Expect to pay about $400 and up for a board. There may be cheaper ones around, but that's what I paid for mine so I'm going with that. Just be totally honest with the shaper you're dealing with and you'll be set. Here's the guy I used who is out of Brigantine http://www.gruvshapes.com Awesome guy and really knowledgeable when it came to building boards. I'll post up a pic later. Also, do a search for "local shaper" and that should provide you with other guys that could take of it for you.
    Last edited by offshore; Jul 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

i don;t know jersey, but yes, hand shaped flyer-esque board usually costs me $450, an "actual" flyer is at least $650.

I get boards form a shaper who "use" to be local I pay about $450 for a PU board, about $525 for EPS, but unfortunately I have to pay for shipping unless I get lucky and there is already boards coming out to the East Coast andmine gets put in the box with other boards. But I pay the shipping because i know what I am getting everytime.
    Go to a local shaper and be honest on your ability and what you want your board to do, if you have an old board you liked but want to make some changes then take it with you to show him what it does and doesnt do well. Oh and the most important thing, bring a sixer - the shaper will appreciate it, and you never know he may be building your boards for the next 15 to 20 years.
    Good Luck!

Wynn, Gallery, Greenlight, Heritage, Mahady, the guy above...they're all in Jersey and that is probably only a small number of them...I'm not even sure who is up north...you can google any of them and get their info. Depending on the type of board your looking for, fin set-up, glassing schedule, etc. anywhere from $400+ and up...determine what you want and then call them all to see your wait time, cost, etc.

P

http://www.mahadysurfboards.com/boards.html Check out Tom Mahady. I've dropped his name like 10 times on these forums but he made me an epic longboard at a killer price. Super cool dude and very easy to deal with kept constant contact throughout the process and texted me a picture of my board during each stage. Can't get anymore involved and custom than that!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    I get boards form a shaper who "use" to be local I pay about $450 for a PU board, about $525 for EPS
    Off topic...did you ever ask why the EPS boards are 75$ more...the EPS blanks arent more expensive than poly and if hes making his own blanks they're actually cheaper. The 2 quarts of epoxy resin per board might cost $10 bucks more than same amt of poly. I guess time is money and it takes longer to shape and glass EPS/Epoxy?

8. There are guys on this forum who can probably shape you a board. I've been buying boards on the cheap from a local shaper in Babylon NY called Faktion. He mostly shapes knockoffs of the popular templates like Dumpster Diver, Rocket, Pod, Scorcher, etc. Been real happy with them so far. Not sure if he's got a website but google Faktion and Stay Above the Weather!!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Off topic...did you ever ask why the EPS boards are 75$ more...the EPS blanks arent more expensive than poly and if hes making his own blanks they're actually cheaper. The 2 quarts of epoxy resin per board might cost $10 bucks more than same amt of poly. I guess time is money and it takes longer to shape and glass EPS/Epoxy?
    My opinion...its not the blank. Epoxy is typically not production friendly (Kwik kick aside) from what I undersand. Elongated flip times, more potential contamination issues (a dual operation requires different sets of brushes, buckets, clean-up, temperatures issues, etc.), possible allergic reaction, usually your shaper/glasser isn't going to do a one off of epoxy = more time, and to be honest, it just doesn't take color (tints) all that well or polish out without some freaking serious work!

But man...do I love epoxy and its derivatives (Resin-X)...personally, I'll use epoxy or RX on all my stuff. Poly just doesn't hold up...and the flex is totally different...

Alex Velit is out of Southern Monmouth County. He's a good shaper, cool dude, and his prices are reasonable. www.av-surfboards.com