LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70
  1. #51
    I thought this thread was about looking for a local east coast shaper, and that's why I posted. I guess we can all agree we will disagree and that's fine. I've learned that in order to stay in the board building game you have to believe in yourself and be honest about your product and sacrifice to keep going. I do this for the love and passion that is surfing, do I think I'm good? Yes, but I know I can get better and I have a long way to go. Jim Phillips once said if you think you learned everything about shaping it's time for you to quit. I used Corky as one example to show that after he surfed and shaped for Hobie for 25 years and now he rides my boards, I think he is more than qualified to judge my boards. Yes we are a proud bunch, us shapers and as we should, if it was easy everyone would make their own. The East Coast has always been stigmatized that we don't know anything about shaping and little by little we are proving it wrong. Ride what you want it's a free country, but to be fair if you never rode any of our local shapes and then to criticize our lack of shaping skills you have to understand how the local shapers will get heated.
    Now back to the original post Local Shapers????
    My name is Tom Mahady and I'm a local shaper
    call me 908-415-4630
    www.mahadysurfboards.blogspot.com
    www.mahadysurfboards.com
    Facebook= Mahady Surfboards

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach / OBX
    Posts
    434
    Wow I went away to Lynchburg VA for a wedding come home check this thread I had posted in and a large debate has commenced.

    A shaper is a craftsman, I dont really think it matters if he lives on the east coast or the west coast. I do think its important that your shaper knows what the surf is like in your local area, meaning he has intimate knowledge of the waves beacuse he has surfed that area in all types of swells. The shape and the power in which the wave breaks is very critical to dialing in a great board. I use a "lesser" known shaper, meaing he doesnt have a logo you see in a mag, but he has ghost shaped for one of the larger "logo" brand boards for years. Many of people who are riding this certain "logo" brand board are probably rididng his work.

    The shaper I use actually shapes his boards just like ...lost, Channel Island, JS, etc. He uses boardCAD and pays someone to cut his blanks on a CAM machine. THen he dose the real work, the final tuning that makes the magic happen. Just because someone doesnt use a hand planner doesnt mean he isnt a craftsman and cant make a great board.

    +++++To me the biggest advantage to using a "local" shaper is they understand the shape of the waves your riding, and you can talk to them in person. Also the craftsman can see the size of the guy who he is building a board for. Every surfer will buy more than one board in their life.. Go buy one from a guy can that can build your next board, then the next and the next. After you get your first "fill shaper name here" ask the shaper to gofor a surf, shapers do surf, go ride the board in front of the guy, let him see your abilites and what he just shaped you does in the water. I have been working with my shaper (now I cosider him a friend) for 6 months on a new grovel board for his line, we hashed out ideas what i wanted this board to do, and finally we got the first board made and I have had 10 R&D sessions on it, and its the most incredible board I have ever ridden in less than waist high surf. Thsi baord allows me to do things i have never done in small gutless surf. I have a round nose fish and a dumpster diver type squatty shortboard and i wont even ride those unless its stomach high now, this board has changed summer slop for me, and it took time and patience to get it right. I also have recieved a great education in what the different bottom contours, rockers, rail types, etc do to a board over the years of working with my shaper so now when i order a board i speak intellegently about what I want.
    If you are serious about surfng, and you want to improve your surfing and believe me a great baord under your feet will do that, and you want to enjoy every inch of the few waves we do get to ride, go "talk" to a shaper and for god sakes bring the man a beer, we all like beer!
    Last edited by bushwood; Jul 25, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    Wow I went away to Lynchburg VA for a wedding come home check this thread I had posted in and a large debate has commenced.

    A shaper is a craftsman, I dont really think it matters if he lives on the east coast or the west coast. I do think its important that your shaper knows what the surf is like in your local area, meaning he has intimate knowledge of the waves beacuse he has surfed that area in all types of swells. The shape and the power in which the wave breaks is very critical to dialing in a great board. I use a "lesser" known shaper, meaing he doesnt have a logo you see in a mag, but he has ghost shaped for one of the larger "logo" brand boards for years. Many of people who are riding this certain "logo" brand board are probably rididng his work.

    The shaper I use actually shapes his boards just like ...lost, Channel Island, JS, etc. He uses boardCAD and pays someone to cut his blanks on a CAM machine. THen he dose the real work, the final tuning that makes the magic happen. Just because someone doesnt use a hand planner doesnt mean he isnt a craftsman and cant make a great board.

    +++++To me the biggest advantage to using a "local" shaper is they understand the shape of the waves your riding, and you can talk to them in person. Also the craftsman can see the size of the guy who he is building a board for. Every surfer will buy more than one board in their life.. Go buy one from a guy can that can build your next board, then the next and the next. After you get your first "fill shaper name here" ask the shaper to gofor a surf, shapers do surf, go ride the board in front of the guy, let him see your abilites and what he just shaped you does in the water. I have been working with my shaper (now I cosider him a friend) for 6 months on a new grovel board for his line, we hashed out ideas what i wanted this board to do, and finally we got the first board made and I have had 10 R&D sessions on it, and its the most incredible board I have ever ridden in less than waist high surf. Thsi baord allows me to do things i have never done in small gutless surf. I have a round nose fish and a dumpster diver type squatty shortboard and i wont even ride those unless its stomach high now, this board has changed summer slop for me, and it took time and patience to get it right. I also have recieved a great education in what the different bottom contours, rockers, rail types, etc do to a board over the years of working with my shaper so now when i order a board i speak intellegently about what I want.
    If you are serious about surfng, and you want to improve your surfing and believe me a great baord under your feet will do that, and you want to enjoy every inch of the few waves we do get to ride, go "talk" to a shaper and for god sakes bring the man a beer, we all like beer!
    This is EXACTLY why a board from a local shaper will beat out an off the shelf pro-model from a big name every time with KNOWLEDGEABLE surfers!! About 5 years ago I helped out a friend who owns a shop by purchasing a ...Lost SD II (the only non-Aston board I've owned in the last 20 years). The board worked pretty decently in the waves in South Jersey for anything waist high and up. Last year I took that same board to Jon Ashton and told him to copy the basic template but add some of his expertise of mid-atlantic waves. He made some subtle changes to the rails, tail and nose and I can tell you that this new board is hands above the ...Lost.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    This is EXACTLY why a board from a local shaper will beat out an off the shelf pro-model from a big name every time with KNOWLEDGEABLE surfers!! About 5 years ago I helped out a friend who owns a shop by purchasing a ...Lost SD II (the only non-Aston board I've owned in the last 20 years). The board worked pretty decently in the waves in South Jersey for anything waist high and up. Last year I took that same board to Jon Ashton and told him to copy the basic template but add some of his expertise of mid-atlantic waves. He made some subtle changes to the rails, tail and nose and I can tell you that this new board is hands above the ...Lost.
    i did pretty much the same thing w/ brian wynn this past fall. last summer i picked up a ci fort knox for a trip i was taking. i had eschewed traditional hp shortboards for a long time, but that one, w/ its bonzer-based bottom contour & slightly different template, peaked my curiosity. so i grabbed it & rode it a bunch & loved it. it has done immeasurable good for my surfing as well. so in the fall i took it brian & asked him to more or less copy it, but make it a true 5 fin bonzer, along w/ his own personal tweaks & touches that make his board so great & not just simple carbon copies. well, i can say that the wynn absolutely a fantastic board...one of the best i've ever gotten from him, which is really saying something.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chadwick
    Posts
    1,308
    Hines and Barley are probably sponsored and don't pay for boards,and,Lynn Shell is a local shaper who most likely shapes the SUPER boards for Hines.most of the boards you'll see ridden in Buxton,Frisco or Hatteras are In The Eye 100% hand-shaped,no shaping machine, by Scott Busbey in Hatteras since 1977. that's 35 years' success.done start to finish by hand right there.The entire operation takes place on the premises,local Curtis Cromwell is Scott's full-time glasser,and is brilliant.if you ever surfed down there you'd see In The Eye significantly outnumbers all other boards on the beach and in the water.All ages ride them.walk down the beach from the motels past the cul-de-sac/yellow houses to the jetties,In The Eye everywhere you look.Scott is totally respected throughout the Island and in the water.Not grumpy or crotchety at all, and totally rips little shortboards, first one in and last guy out.Then there's Ricky Carroll,still east coast,respected and successful.and your Jim Phillips example has years of east coast shaping behind him.so,guess what?east coast shapers can be successful,significant and equal to or much better than all the 'respected' shapers elsewhere,and they can successfully stay here,too.locally made,hand-crafted surfboards,agreed.forget california.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    RDJ I am not hurting anyone's business, just providing info and an opinion, its up to the consumer to decide, not me. Making boards is about being humble, not a prick. Jeff Bushman is from Wilmington, DE and look at him now, he makes boards for the top Hawaii shapers. But when he first started out he was giving boards away to kids, not charging a whole hell of a lot and establishing a name for himself. Shaping is a labor of love, and if someone really wants to make surfboards for a living on the east coast then they are just going to be grumpy and crotchety because its hard too. Hence bushman lives in Hawaii. Mahady, Brian @ Greenlight, Bryan Wynn, Legend Jim all probably make great quality boards, make a lot of people stoked, and fill their need, which is great. But its not a need of every surfer on the east coast. Like it or not big names are what the average surfer wants and that isn't ever going to change. Kids want what kelly, dane, mach ado, jordy, etc. are riding and let them be.Surf shops carry what people want so that way they can survive, if they carried locally made boards shapers wouldn't be happy because for a $500 retail short board, they would have to wholesale it to the shop for $325/$350. Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but another side needs to be shown. Everything on here is an opinion and not fact, like I said its up to the consumer to make their own decisions, you can't force them and thats is all i can say anymore, otherwise this will go around in circles and i honestly don't care, just voicing a different view thats all.
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    if they carried locally made boards shapers wouldn't be happy because for a $500 retail short board, they would have to wholesale it to the shop for $325/$350.
    This just goes to show what you don't know. Retail mark up on a surfboards is between $100 - $125. Lost, CI, Etc sell for $650 - $700. If a local shaper wholesales to a shop for $450, the shop can sell for $575 and still be well below the big labels. $450 is the minimum an established local shaper should be charging for a PU/PE shortboard. Less than that hurts the market by devaluing the product.


    Look, I don't need to justify anything to you. There's like fourteen other people in this thread telling you that you are wrong. But just to point out to you where you are mistaken. I will summarize:


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    But to me and you can ask any of the top "shapers", most agree that you can't call yourself a shaper until 2,000 boards.
    You are pulling a random number out of your a$s here. Please don't make statements you can't back up without first hand knowledge.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    You can't tell me that the shapers with only a couple hundred boards under their belts can shape a board as good if not better than someone else.
    Yes I can. Apparently so did the organizers of Sacred Craft, the largest surfboard expo in the country, when invited DK to shape at the shape-off. I will agree with your statement that 50 board is premature, but there are some very good shapers who have shaped a couple hundred boards and their quality deserves more respect than you are giving. The materials cost of shaping 50 boards alone is about $10,000. After investing that time and money in their education they have to look forward to people like you telling them they don't deserve to sell a board for a reasonable profit.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Its great that guys want to make boards, but all i am is saying is don't parade around as this shaping guru and shooting down name brand shapers who can put you in your place real quick. Just make the boards, shut up, and let people come to you.
    I don't see any shaper in this thread calling themselves a guru or shooting down name brands made in the USA. This is something you fabricated. And the shapers are going to take insult to you telling them to shut up. And rightfully so. You are rude. Your parents should have taught you better.

    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Here is two people that know how to make custom surfboards if you guys can compete and make something as good as them then i guess i was wrong.
    No one in this thread claimed they could compete with Jim Phillips. Again this is your fabrication. Have you ever priced a board shaped by Jim. I assure that none of the local shapers who post on Swellinfo would attempt to compare themselves to Jim and would not demand the same price.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Wasn't referring to anyone in particular. You make some nice boards and probably make a lot of people stoked which is sick! More of what i am referring too is the guys whom say they will make you custom boards and when you check out the boards on the website, the damn things look asymmetrical without them even trying.
    The problem is you did not present this perspective in your initial post. I bet more people would have agreed with you if you had approached your point without an accusatory tone or making gross assumptions on how many boards it takes to become a shaper.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    If you were to hand your board to Dane Reynolds and he took it out and said he had fun on it are your board Dane Reynolds proven?
    Have you ever been to Dane's blog, Marine Layer? Have you seen the disasters he shapes for himself. He himself even makes fun of his own shapes. And then surfs them better than anyone else can because he's a freak. And he says he has fun on them. Personally I find that a better validation of a shaper is to shape a board for someone who can actually benefit from a design tailored to their needs. You take a guy who is riding a big label board, shape him a custom that takes his surfing to the next level and you made more of an impact that Dane saying that he had fun on a board. Dane could surf a barn door or a coffee table better than you or I.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    When you buy a board from a local surf shop you SUPPORT A LOCAL ECONOMY! gosh forbid you do that.
    Again you don't know what you are talking about. Surf shops do not make money on surfboards. The average mark up on a surfboard is $100. That board then sits in a shop for 6 months to a year while the shop looses that money on overhead. They make money on clothes which they can mark up by 200%, leashes, fins, traction pads, wetsuits etc that are all marked up well over 100% and turn over stock in a month or two. Surfers should definitely support a local shop and buy your supplies there, but buying a CI from Brave New World isn't really doing them a favor.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    When someone voices a different opinion you go into d-bag mode to defend yourselves when there is no defending necessary.
    Honestly the only person on this thread acting like a d-bag is you. You accusatory tone in your first post was what set everyone off arguing with you. You could have presented your opinion without bagging on anyone. Your general point is a valid point. Buying a board that has been validated by a team of riders all over the world is 100% a valid point. No one is arguing this point with you. They are arguing with you because you pulled some random BS about number of boards shaped and pricing that you can't substantiate. And, because your tone was rude.

    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    But you can't seriously tell me that a board from any large company does not work on east coast waves
    No one said this. Agian you are fabricating this. People only touted the benefits of a local shaper.


    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Jeff Bushman is from Wilmington, DE and look at him now, he makes boards for the top Hawaii shapers.
    Jeff Bushman moved to Hawaii. If he stayed here, you would have been telling him that he couldn't charge a reasonable price for his boards because he hasn't shaped 2000.



    Dude, what I've been trying to tell you is that your attitude, and assumptions, and not your opinion is what got you in trouble here. You could have presented your opinion better and you wouldn't have a ton of people arguing with you.

  7. #57

    Hague!

    Hague Surfboards in Lewes, De. I recently bought a 6'6'' Hague and i have to say its one of the best built boards i have been on. Its EPS/Epoxy, and has great flex. Its so light and the damn thing turns on a dime. Check the video out, It sold it for me!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wk9rPI5HR0

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bug Surfing View Post
    Hague Surfboards in Lewes, De.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wk9rPI5HR0
    Wow!!!!!!!!!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bug Surfing View Post
    Hague Surfboards in Lewes, De. I recently bought a 6'6'' Hague and i have to say its one of the best built boards i have been on. Its EPS/Epoxy, and has great flex. Its so light and the damn thing turns on a dime. Check the video out, It sold it for me!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wk9rPI5HR0
    im really tempted to go stand on one of my epoxy boards

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Here's what Resin-X will do for you:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-U5E...eature=related